Preparing for a meet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Flying D
PV Fan

Unread postby Flying D » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:31 am

LHSpolevault wrote:stay outta the sun if yer waiting for a while!!!!!!

haha yea great point. wow the sun can sure do a lot, and u dont even realize it. but yea, all these things are good ideas for waiting around, hopefully none of us will get drained any more
"How high you go depends on how hard you try"

AKell
PV Nerd

stay loose

Unread postby AKell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:33 pm

stretches, and jumping jacks. do 25 every 5 minutes you wait :). sounds dumb, but it keeps your blood running until you have to go. also, just pick up a pole and sprint 20 yards back and forth a few minutes b/f you're up.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Play frisbee to stay warmed up its fun too
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:52 am

Things like frisbee and jumping jacks sound nice, but there are times where I have to wait 2-3 hours after initial warm ups to jump (ie Regionals/States) and the downtime and re-warming up kills me. Any new ideas?

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:34 am

Ryan if you know that will be the case leave the vaulting area all together and go somewhere else.

As it is approaching your time to enter the meet return to the vault and re warm up.

As much as watching the vault is fun and all sometimes the best thing to do is get away from it after you finish your inital warmup.

AdapT
PV Newbie

Unread postby AdapT » Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 pm

If your waiting for an hour, when its about 15 minutes until your up, take a jog around the track and do some strideouts to get your heart going. It wont take much energy out of your system if your in shape enough. Then about 5 minutes before you go its good to do some small 90-95% sprints, only 1-3. Between all this I am not sitting down too much, i like keeping my legs warmed up, and keep the blood flowing. So at the time your up, you are ready to run a PR in the 100 if you wanted. The main point is, keep the blood flowing in your legs, keep them warm, so that they are ready to go when you need them to be.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:50 am

So I am one of those people who usually has to wait a while to come in. I stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of water or gatorade, and I do a few warm-ups at least every 10 minutes to keep my body warm so i don't have to go and do a full fledge warm up before I take my run through. I think a lot of it has to do with endurance cuz I never have a lack of energy when I am jumping and I warm up a lot in between warm ups and my run through. Sometimes it is an hour or two but you just gotta do it cuz if you don't your body won't be warm and if your in good shape you shouldn't have any problems.
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”