getting faster

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:56 pm

I like Earl's L.E.G. Loader (http://www.bellathletics.com). It forces you to strike the ground properly and can be used as a strengthening device as well.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 pm

[b]“SPEEDâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Tamaqua Vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby Tamaqua Vaulter » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:01 am

leg weights, weight strapped to yer ankles. wear them after school all day and just walk around..... :yes:
Don't touch my pole!

wakesurfvault
PV Fan

Unread postby wakesurfvault » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:03 pm

I would be careful with the ankle weight suggestion, you don't realize how much stress that puts on your knee, so I'd stay away from walking around all day in them (or at all).

Hawkeye
PV Beginner

Unread postby Hawkeye » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:09 pm

treadmill is ok for endurance, so you can take more vaults in a competition or practice, but your original concern was speed. You need to do drills that require explosive movement and explosive motion calling on your fast twitch muscle fibers. Slow movements in training = slow movemnents when competing. That is why so many of us are suggesting box jumps, olympic lifts, etc. all of these are very intense and explosive exercise to make your muscles fire harder and react faster. keep up the endurance work but dedicate at least two days to developing explosive speed. I've never seen a vault runway longer than 150 feet! focus on 125 feet of pure speed. You can also buy some sprint improvement books to give you some more ideas on different drills to try. Look on Amazon.com for some used ones to save some dough. Good Luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”