Pull-Ups...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:16 pm

Im not sure about the bend in my arms, but my sophmore year in HS i did 38. Our teachers in weight classes were strict as butt. For squats we basically had to touch our butts to our ankles, so im pretty sure the bend was rather low
Just you wait...

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Pull Ups

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 pm

We do a work down at the end of our gymnastics workout every Thur. A work down consists of ten pullups from full extension with the hands facing away from your face, nine with your hands facing you, reverse your hands and do 8, etc until you get to three. That's 52 pullups total!! Every Thur!

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:54 pm

is that all in one straight set? or... do 10, rest, do 9, rest etc...?

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:31 pm

If you want a good pull up workout - here is pull-up PT seesion that my platoon does. Generally we do it once a week, with shorter pull up routines added on atleast 2 of the other days.
(Pull ups are one of the three events on our bi-yearly physical fitness tests so we tend to do alot of them...)

Definitions:
Pull Up - palms facing away from you/shoulder width apart
Chin Up - palms facing toward you/shoulder width apart

Start workout with 15 push-ups.

Pull Ups
2-4-6-8-6-4-2 // Between each set do 10 push ups and 10 4-count flutter kicks
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Chin Ups
Close Grip Chin Ups (hands touching)

End workout with 15 push ups

Total Pulls Ups = 128
Total Push-Ups = 300

Generally done in a single file line of around 5 (built in rest time)
If that isnt difficult enough - we sometimes add in a max set of your normal grip at the beginning and end of the workout - which should put you over 150 pull ups for the day.
Once again - no kipping aloud - and for those who might be struggling on a set, the person behind them in line gives them a spot.

I personally think its a great upper body workout that requires almost no equipment, and since you're doing it with others - you can talk together, or complain about the workout together or whatever - so it helps build "unit cohesion" as the Marines would call it (not sure what you civilians would say... :P )
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:13 am

Could you explain the flutter kick -- just what is this ??? Thanks

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:49 am

lay down and kick your legs and keep 'em straight... arms to your side...umm... 4 count means do 2 on each leg and it counts as one.... pretty sure.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

pull ups

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:38 pm

we have five ladies on the squad right now. Each does a set of ten, then each does a set of nine etc.....

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Re: pull ups

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:52 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:lay down and kick your legs and keep 'em straight... arms to your side...umm... 4 count means do 2 on each leg and it counts as one.... pretty sure.

Your right on the money - you would count while you're doing the exercise and it would go 1-2-3-One / 1-2-3-Two / 1-2-3-Three etc
So basically you do the exercise twice and it only counts as one - we do most of our exercises like that during PT sessions
I guess its a military thing, sorry I didnt clarify

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:we have five ladies on the squad right now. Each does a set of ten, then each does a set of nine etc.....

Thats awesome that your females are doing that many! I know a bunch of guys who would probably struggle with that routine :P
Matthew Savini

DCHS Vault Coach

www.HighVaultage.com

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Re: pull ups

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:17 pm

USMC Vaulter wrote:
OAKPV2004 wrote:lay down and kick your legs and keep 'em straight... arms to your side...umm... 4 count means do 2 on each leg and it counts as one.... pretty sure.

Your right on the money - you would count while you're doing the exercise and it would go 1-2-3-One / 1-2-3-Two / 1-2-3-Three etc
So basically you do the exercise twice and it only counts as one - we do most of our exercises like that during PT sessions
I guess its a military thing, sorry I didnt clarify

yes. i spent some time at a military school and almost enlisted after high school...plan on it after im done vaulting.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:11 pm

quick question...

anyone here ever hit their head on the wall when their doing inversions on a pullup bar? maybe its just me but i tend to whack my head a lot. its one of those PE issued ones that hook onto the platform thats anchored into the wall.

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:17 pm

When you hang its puts a full stretch on the lats which will help widen them. Make sure when you get to the top you contract all of the muscles. Its not about how many you can do but the proper technique. Leave your ego at the door and you will see more gains

vaulter chick 08
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaulter chick 08 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:36 pm

i have a problem with pull-ups...i have pretty strong arms, shoudlers, abs and everything, i just cant do pull-ups. maybe like, 3 at most, and usually with a spotter.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”