Your best ideas for leg recovery

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Re: Your best ideas for leg recovery

Unread postby SlickVT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Its always better to have one healthy season than 2 injured seasons.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 am

powerplant42 wrote:... I iced and stretched and compressed, even elevated a little bit, saw a doctor, etc. I trained in the Summer, and it hurt a little bit in the beginning, but it stopped after a while. Now it hurts again. It is holding me back. What should I do? I have a meet January 2nd. I have had little practice time, and I have opportunities to really vault this week and over Winter break. I need to jump a qualifying height, and I have 1 more regular meet left. I can jump the height at counties or regionals though...

HELP! :eek:

Reminder of a PM that I sent to you on Nov 6 ...

... Just stay healthy. Hopefully, you've learned your lesson re hamstrings. It should be impossible to pull it twice in the same week, as it takes > a week to heal, so you should have laid off of it.

Even now, it's not too late to heed that advice.

Remember that January meets are almost meaningless compared to April and May meets. :)

Slick said it best ...
SlickVT wrote:Its always better to have one healthy season than 2 injured seasons.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Shin splints are caused by 3 things and are fixable and preventable:
1. You have pronation issues with your feet ( lots of people have this problem including myself )
2. Your doing too much hard training too quickly
3. Over training

I have foot doctor made shoe inserts
I went from like jogging a lap a day to slowly working to light sprints and then more intense stuff over like a 4 month period
Barely do many speed work at all

I think im just cursed to suffer through the day... but as log as I warm my lower legs up good befor practice they feel fine, then I wrap them in ace bandages or tall socks throughout the day and it kind of hides the pain.

But power plant with your hammey if its just a minor strain (meaning it probably is because you can still somewhat run on it) then i you just put heat pack or something on it for like 15min, stretch some, hop on a bike for like 5min and stretch some more befor the work out you should be fine as long as you listen to your body and stop when it starts to hurt. Also Ice it periodicaly between practice and night

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”