Ibuprofen

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
nzsprinter
PV Nerd

Unread postby nzsprinter » Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:07 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:You can get Tylenol with codeine over the counter in Canada. But seeing as codeine is a narcotic I don't think that would be a better choice than ibuprofen :P I'd guess it would be a banned substance as well, although I don't know that for sure.

yep codeine is an illegal substance, i had the pharmaist check it out in the rule book before i tried to buy it once, before the nationals.

lavasteal
PV Beginner

Unread postby lavasteal » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:54 pm

codine is some strooong stuff in perscription form. as for nondoctor medicine, ibuprofin is the OnlY drug that works at all for me. and morphine (i got snake bit a whiiile ago) that made it so i couldn't walk. heh, i know more than i should. seeing as every person has been in a car wreck in my family in exactly a year, we've got a lot of prescription pain killers...talk about a legal drugee house.
Who else gets to say they fly?

h2ojunkie42
PV Beginner

Unread postby h2ojunkie42 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:11 am

gee should i feel odd, i just suck it up and take it. well thats just me. and my shoulder pops out of its socket sometimes (not vaulting) and i just deal. maybe its just me lol

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:42 am

h2ojunkie42 wrote:gee should i feel odd, i just suck it up and take it. well thats just me. and my shoulder pops out of its socket sometimes (not vaulting) and i just deal. maybe its just me lol

The less drugs you take the better!

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:37 pm

This is all BAAADD news for me!!!! :( I used to take motrin ALL of the time because I pulled a high hamstring at the end of the winter track season and it hurt sooo bad all the way through spring track(cause i didn't stop vaulting until the season ended). also...i have a friend who told me that he took eight motrin about every 5 hours for a while because he injured his knee while vaulting.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:11 pm

Hehe just trying to do my part to prevent you all from becoming little drug addicts O:-)

h2ojunkie42
PV Beginner

Unread postby h2ojunkie42 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:04 am

but then one of us can become a supplyer and then we would rule the world with all the money mwahahaha

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:07 am

I relized that if you do take asprin or some sort of pain reliever, the best time to take it is only on meet days. That way your body reacts to it better cause you only take it every once in a while and you feel like a million bucks when you have a meet. During practice you just have to fight through the pain! :crying: Its worth it when you actually have a meet! :D
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:05 am

Yeah, i'm going to have to agree with AZ, taking it meet days is probably the best way to go if you're going to take it.....i mean this summer i was taking 1600 mg of ibuprofen at a time at camp, but thats rare....only other time i took that much one time was when i was vaulting on a fractured ankle, lol, anyway....yeah, meet days, probably the best way to go unless it's necessary....just remember, drink LOTS of water if you are going to be taking this stuff, helps not kill your liver so fast
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

vaulterbabe247
PV Newbie

Re: Ibuprofen

Unread postby vaulterbabe247 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:44 am

Try taking some stuff called Wobezyme. It is a natural enzyme that is an anti-inflamatory. It works as well as Ibuprofen. You have to buy it in a health food store. It comes from Germany I think.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:34 pm

I vaulted all last spring on a torn acl and torn cartilage in my shoulder(top arm), and also threw jav. But I only took the ibuprofen on meet days. Things would hurt like hell all week, but come meet time, man did I feel 110% better. That natural enzyme sounds like something worth looking into. How effective is it? I don't like taking any meds of any kind, but it'd be nice to find something that won't do damage to my body...

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

RE: Ibuprofen

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:59 pm

The Wobezyme is very effective. Jodie was at AAU Regionals and her back was killing her. She went to the training tent and there were some people there doing "biofeedback" adjustments. They adjusted her and told her they could tell she had been taking too much ibuprofen. They told her to get the Wobezyme and take 5 on an empty stomach at least an hour before a workout. Until she felt better she was to take 5 2x a day on an empty stomache. She felt like it worked. She hasn't taken ibuprofen since. The bad part is that the bottle is about $25 plus tax for 100 (I think.) You can only buy them in a health food store.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”