hamstring/college scouting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:51 pm

it should be made a pole vault law that a bungee clear does not count unless the bungee does not move AT ALL, NO EXCEPTIONS. Just thought i would throw that in there :).
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:56 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:it should be made a pole vault law that a bungee clear does not count unless the bungee does not move AT ALL, NO EXCEPTIONS. Just thought i would throw that in there :).

Bungees don't count, period. It doesn't matter how much you cleared it by and how much you did not touch it. I don't know any college coaches that are particularly interested in what bungees a vaulter has cleared. Actual crossbars cleared in practice may be of some interest. Actual crossbars cleared in meets are of the most interest.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:42 pm

tikrapt wrote:
last year my pr was 12'6" holding i believe 13'9". recently the jumping i have done is from 3 steps holding 11'9" and im clearing 13' that alone 2'6" better...

I am no math major, but 13' is not 2'6" higher than 12'6"......i realize that your grips are different, but the height isn't, and college coaches dont' use the transitive property of pole vault grips to assume you will jump higher....they need meet results.
Man Up and Jump

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:12 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:it should be made a pole vault law that a bungee clear does not count unless the bungee does not move AT ALL, NO EXCEPTIONS. Just thought i would throw that in there :).

Bungees don't count, period. It doesn't matter how much you cleared it by and how much you did not touch it. I don't know any college coaches that are particularly interested in what bungees a vaulter has cleared. Actual crossbars cleared in practice may be of some interest. Actual crossbars cleared in meets are of the most interest.
I agree. But if you say "i cleared a bungee" it better mean someone was watching an it didnt move at all. When you look at it like that, bars are actually easier to clear because you can graze them without knocking them off.

Also i dont know any vaulters who could actually clear higher in practice than in a meet. The adrenaline is pumping, the croud is cheering, and its hard to imagine how you could go faster and higher in practice.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:57 pm

I have cleared a 5 meter bungee in practice, but never went above 4.70 in a meet.

If you are talking about kicking a bungee at 18' I can see a reason to talk about that, but as far as clearance, bungees dont' count
Man Up and Jump

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 pm

I agree with vaulterboy on this one... 5.08 PR at meets, while only a 5.05 pr in practice...

But yeah, practice doesn't even count... you could jump as high as you want in practice, but if you can't put it together in a meet, no one is going to care...

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Boomer
PV Fan

Unread postby Boomer » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 pm

For your hamstring. Once the tenderness is gone, you need to use it, easy at first, and always ice after use, and as you said in a previous post, start stretching.
It is important to find out why it was pulled, so it doesn't happen again. It could be from poor mechanics, or from dehydration.
Drink lots of water, to stay hydrated.
Your hamstring won't get better by doing nothing. Once the swelling is gone, you need to strengthen it, lengthen it, and repeat... The ice reduces the swelling after use. You could try heat before activity and compression during if you wish.
Hamstrings can be a pain, but sitting there does nothing for the scar tissue that will build up, and nothing to get you back on track.
Good luck shooting for 16', but I agree with the rest, baby steps !!!
Kristian Wilson
London Legion Track and Field Alliance
P'R' 5.25m

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:23 am

thanks a lot guys... helping

for the clearing thing... yeah i know right now my results are meaningless... im just using them for reference that i know i can go much higher. the 2'6' higher is relating to my grip height, again only for reference. im asking you guys to trust me on my believing i can clear 15'+ right now. what im looking for is hamstring advice which im getting thanks... and any info about how long i have to impress the college guys and get in somewhere to vault.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:02 am

If a few colleges know that you are vaulting 15+ with a messed up hammy, i would think they would show some interest in seeing how you do when you are healthy. Just make sure they know the whole story.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:24 am

vault3rb0y wrote:If a few colleges know that you are vaulting 15+ with a messed up hammy, i would think they would show some interest in seeing how you do when you are healthy. Just make sure they know the whole story.

Just make sure you do it in a meet before you start talking to them.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:35 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:If a few colleges know that you are vaulting 15+ with a messed up hammy, i would think they would show some interest in seeing how you do when you are healthy. Just make sure they know the whole story.

Just make sure you do it in a meet before you start talking to them.

yeahhhh.... theres my problem. i need to show them that i can do it and right now i cant. i could deal with the pain if i need to/could... but its just not physically possible to jump or run good without a properly functioning muscle. this just really sucks. how late in the season would you say i have to show them i can do it?

Gchap7
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Gchap7 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 pm

If you pulled up on a plant, you may have torqued it by a poor step - along with being dehydrated, etc. Be aware of your hip mobility. My coach calls the hamstring a victim because it's the end result of something wrong somewhere else. Your hips lacking mobility could have aided in the hamstring pull. If you find it is a mobility issue, try hanging out with the hurdlers for a week and run through hurdle drills. Stepovers, Lunges, etc. It can't hurt while your laid up, the drills will help strengthen your hammy too. Good luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”