I keep slowing down!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
TheEnd
PV Newbie

I keep slowing down!

Unread postby TheEnd » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:13 pm

Hey all. This is my main problem. I have good speed when i start running, but I slow down so significantly at the plant that all my momentum is lost and I can't make a decent jump. My opinion on it was that since i feel like i lose control of the pole when I run faster, I slow down to get that control back. Any tips on training that could help me fix this?

Many thanks.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:53 pm

first how many steps are you running from? you may be running from more than you can handle. you also dont need to be running full speed the whole way down the runway. you want to achieve maximum controlable speed at take off. so you only need to run as far as it takes to reach that max. controlable speed. something that will help with that is pole runs pole runs pole runs. doing pole runs will help you be more comfortable running with the pole. measure out the distance of your run on the track and do regular runs as if you were on the runway. pole runs are also a great way to improve running form and pole carry without having to worry about the in air bit of the vault.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:08 am

Vaultbrad is right. Do 50m pole runs with good posture, and dont let yourself push too hard so as to lose control. After a few practices you will feel much more in control of the pole.

Although most control comes from your posture while running, and im sure there are threads on here about proper upright posture while running. Be sure to look that up, but basically...
1.) knees up
2.) ankles dorsoflexed (pulled up)
3.) shoulders square with box
4.) stay upright
5.) no leaning, you want to be very "tall" when you run.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:10 am

Get stronger, train, getting in lots of running, 400s 300s 250s sprints and more running. Then get into lots of pole runs. Start at something like 3 lefts, and work on accelerating through the plant. Then as you are comfortable move back a left and try to accelerate through the plant, and try and reach max speed at take off....

Watch the best vaulters, Bubka has a great run, Yoo Kim, great approach, Derek Miles has a great run.

Work on your sprint form. if your sprint team is doing sprint tec, i would try and get in on that, learn how to run with better form, that will make run way running much easier.

Work on your pole carry, try and get into a better position, and if you pump heavily try and lessen that.

All these things will help with runway speed and control.

TheEnd
PV Newbie

Unread postby TheEnd » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll try them out tomorrow at practice (I get an entire practice to devote to vaulting for the first time all season). Also, I'm left handed, so i currently do four or five rights. I'll take it down to three tomorrow and see if that helps.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:18 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Vaultbrad is right. Do 50m pole runs with good posture, and dont let yourself push too hard so as to lose control. After a few practices you will feel much more in control of the pole.

Although most control comes from your posture while running, and im sure there are threads on here about proper upright posture while running. Be sure to look that up, but basically...
1.) knees up
2.) ankles dorsoflexed (pulled up)
3.) shoulders square with box
4.) stay upright
5.) no leaning, you want to be very "tall" when you run.

all that and you could also be too close so u have to slow down to make sure that u wont be under so maybe scooting back might work too
pain is only temporary victory is forever

TheEnd
PV Newbie

Unread postby TheEnd » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:20 pm

I see. I'll have to experiment a bit tomorrow.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm

TheEnd wrote:I see. I'll have to experiment a bit tomorrow.

haha me and you gotta work on our runs tomorrow hersh

TheEnd
PV Newbie

Unread postby TheEnd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Thanks for the motivation OH. You're gonna have to keep giving me pointers as we practice anyways, or else i'll never get the hang of this.

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 pm

I was reading a book. Pretty old, when continuous chain technique just started, and they discussed running. Make sure
1. run on yuor toes. FOr real. It may seem strange but I got the hang of it.
2. don't stretch out when you run.
3. Start slower and accelerate. You might be getting tired, by the time you reach the box.
4. try a shorter run.
AND train. Do 400's then 200's then 100's. 400's during fall. 200's during winter. 100's in spring. ANd do acceleration drills, and step ups. have a box and step up and down.
Hope I helped.
-eva

Vaultvaultvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaultvaultvault » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:59 pm

Most of these suggestions talk about running training for the vault, but they dont really apply here because even someone with a well conditioned, technically perfect run can slow down at the take off. Likewise, with bad technique, you can still execute proper rythm and accelerate through your take off.

In my experience most young vaulters have problems accelerating through their take-off because they see thier run and take off as two separate events. They think, -run fast, then jump.- The only reason we run at all is to carry more momentum into the take-off, and until you really get your mind around that and understand what it means you will still run too fast to early.

Heres what I would do if I were you. Put down your pole, go over to the long jump pit, and do some standing broad jumps and measure how far you go. Then take a couple steps back and use a 2-step approach, you should be able to beat your mark from before. Then use a 4-step approach and beat your 2-step mark. Hopefully, as you go further back you will understand the concept of turning runway speed into penetration. Just remember, Dont focus on run speed, focus on jumping far.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”