Kips

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Kips

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 am

I did 15 kips on the high bar in a row. Drop kip drop kip. I know some of you gymnasts do more than that but. I want to know what everyone thinks about kips as a good vault strength and body awareness exercise.
High bar is great vault work for me.

baggettpv
PV Master

Kips

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:24 am

They are good but you need to add movements to them instead of trying to reproduce the same movement.
kip to cast
Kip to cast to back uprise
Kip to cast to back uprise to front circle
Kip to cast to back uprise to front circle to cast to kip

My elite vaulters will do 3 sets of these movements for one minute each set starting the 3rd cycle of their yearly training.

Try it, youl puke....

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
www.willamettestriders.com

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:35 am

I'll try it sounds fun. I normally kip press into a handstand then do a couple giants. but anything like that sounds like a good strength and body position work. Thanks rick.

MadeinTaiwan
PV Wannabe

Unread postby MadeinTaiwan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:29 am

sorry can you explain cast, uprise etc...i dont get those gymnastics terms :o

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:48 am

MadeinTaiwan wrote:sorry can you explain cast, uprise etc...i dont get those gymnastics terms :o

This website has a lot of information that might help: http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/index

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:58 pm

wow .. that took me a long time to understand .. i am going to have to try that over thanksgiving :yes:

baggettpv
PV Master

Kips and high bar?

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:10 am

Just curious. How many of you guys/gals have experience in gymnastics? I have coached girls at level 5. Gymnastics has always been a player in my training of athletes. And from the international coaches I have worked with gymnastics is a player in theirs too.
I could tell some stories about elite athletes and their first time in the gymnastics room..The group in Athletics West in Eugene 86-90 was fantastic. Kory Tarpenning, Scott Davis, Tim Bright, Dave Hodge, Nate Durham and others....

Just a question.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:04 am

I grew up in a gym. My mom owns a gymnastic facility. I always did work outs in there in high school.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:53 am

Pullups, Kips, Bubka's, elevators, are all great, High bar is great to work on swing, body work and strength. HOWEVER some times high bar is not use full,

Giants for example, they are great to learn how to swing, HOWEVER at some point it becomes just a movement of your wrists, and you are not swinging so much as letting your momentum move you.

Training in all areas is very important, there is not ONE magic exercise to make you pole vault higher. But body weight training is really really good for the PV.

baggettpv
PV Master

Gymnastics

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am

Bel142,
Try the workout I sort of outlined in an earlier post on this forum. If your in Portland come on out and use my equipment.
rules are no more than 3 giants in a row. Must move above the bar every other swing.
Try it, you'll like it.
Also, anyone in the area, Sat workouts from noon to 1 for leg strength. All welcome but only if you are tough enuff....only have 4 Saturdays left before the next cycle.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”