Taping your wrist

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
dont_touch_my_pole
PV Wannabe

Taping your wrist

Unread postby dont_touch_my_pole » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:47 pm

Does anyone know the rule about taping your wrist? Can you tape your wrist and bring it up and over your hand...so that you have no movement of your wrist. Because that's what my trainer does for my wrist. Is that legal?
"Kick towards God" our school moto

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 am

i've sprained my wrist before and tried to tape it, but by only taping the wrist and wrapping it between my thumb and index finger through the "webbing" but as far as going on the actual hand.. i'm not sure..

i know that you must have an open wound to cover it up on the actual hand, but as far as tape stemming from the wrist to the hand i'm not real sure....

I would say it isn't legal, and I woudl think that having tape on your palm of the hand would hinder more then help you in the vault...
hope this helps...
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:46 am

can you vault w/o being able to move your hand??

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:20 am

bjvando wrote: and I woudl think that having tape on your palm of the hand would hinder more then help you in the vault...
hope this helps...

It only hinders you if you let it.. it doesnt make anything more difficult, (depending on how you have it taped) you just have to not let the tape bother you. Im not sure if its legal either, but I jumped with my whole wrist and hand taped for a good part of the outdoor season due to an injury and the officials never said anything..
What have you done today to get better?

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Taping

Unread postby drcurran » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:09 am

To the best of my knowledge "bjvando" has it correct at least in HS. To have tape on the hands / fingers there must be an open wound. Don't think it would matter in college you can wear hand coverings (like a batters glove) to vault.
On another note "mcminkz05" makes an interesting point. "I jumped with my whole wrist and hand taped for a good part of the outdoor season due to an injury and the officials never said anything.." We hear this a lot at meets "I've always done this and no one has ever said anything" Makes the official who knows and follows the rules look like the "bad guy". Just because an official does not "say anything" does not me you are within the rules. We see this at championship meets at the end of a season with poles improperly taped - "but I've jumped all season with it like this" - "I"m sorry you've jumped with your pole taped illegal all season". It is really important in our sport / event for everyone to read and know the rules.

Dan

"If you get out of the pit before the bar falls, it is still a miss" :(

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:22 pm

The rule says you cant have any tape on your hand... so i guess there might be a loop hole there with the wrist.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

dont_touch_my_pole
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dont_touch_my_pole » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 pm

[quote="bjvando"]i've sprained my wrist before and tried to tape it, but by only taping the wrist and wrapping it between my thumb and index finger through the "webbing" but as far as going on the actual hand.. i'm not sure..

I just went around the webbing too....but i still couldn't move my wrist or hand...it help alot with pole vaultin
"Kick towards God" our school moto

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”