Looking for a place to train for 2010-2011

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Looking for a place to train for 2010-2011

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm

RG, I don't know why you're trying to rain on Kyle's parade ... he seems open to the possibility ... and my suggestion was completely serious ... Formia might even be better than Donetsk ... since Petrov and Isi NOW train there. The fact that Petrov delegates most ... if not all ... of the training to his subordinates should not diminish the quality of the training or the richness of the experience. I"ll bet you can rest assured that ALL the training would be under Petrov's supervision ... using the Petrov Model.

I also see no distinction between advising Kyle publicly or privately. If Kyle is asking for "public" advice, then why do you think that the only good advice would be communicated to him privately? :confused: If he asked for private PMs, then I can understand your point ... but what's the big secret? By discussing this publicly, it helps others as well. Even Starkey's advice was public ... which you liked ... so what's wrong with that? :confused:

powerplant42 wrote:It's $300 for a year with Petrov at his "A-school" (5m+)... apparently if you're jumping high enough (18'+ probably) then it's free. :yes:

Whether it's $300 or free, the training cost ... if accurate ... is next to nothing. Kyle is already a 5m+ jumper, so he qualifies.

How much would it cost for you to attend, PP? :confused:

I don't quite understand the rationale for the pricing of the training tho. I assume that Petrov gets BIG BUCK$ to train Isi ... probably a % of her earnings. And judging by the $300 for 5.00+ and free for 5.50+, I can only assume that it's >$300 for someone lower than 5.00. If that's the case, then it doesn't seem quite logical ... it's cheaper as you vault higher ... yet if you vault REALLY HIGH (Isi), then it's super-expensive. PP, where are you getting your information from? The link you attached doesn't provide that info about the Formia program. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I wasn't trying to rain on Kyle's parade, just trying to point out how impractical much of the advice given on this site often is.

Does Petrov even work with guys under 5 meters?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Petrov has two schools in Italy. There is the "B-School" (under 5m) and the "A-School" (5m+). (Those are the heights for the guys, I don't know anything about heights for women.) The "A-School" is in Formia, and the "B-School" is in Florence (if I remember correctly).

I'm getting my information from a friend of mine whose teammate trained with Petrov this past summer. I'll let him know that we're talking about this and you can hear it from him.
Last edited by powerplant42 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

starkey480
PV Whiz
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby starkey480 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:45 pm

ya but who needs petrov when you can have dean starkey? ;)

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:29 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:It's also expensive and tough to get the right visas and tough to get jobs overseas. I don't think Kyle has rich parents who can bankroll an Italian adventure.

It's not a bad discussion to be having, the information about Formia is interesting, I just think this discussion mirrors so many others we have on here. Interesting but either not practical or not the most immediately helpful thing.

I don't mean to stop the discussion about exotic places to train. I hear Steve Rippon is a fantastic coach in the UK.

I came in Canada from Europe with wife and two kids, so I have first hand experience in going overseas. My wife lived in Italy for few years. She also has family in Italy and I've been in Italy many times, so I know a thing or two about life there. And I was not rich, not my parents were.
You don't need to be rich to move from US to Italy. Air tickets are expensive, but flight from Chicago to LA is also not cheap. With little bit planning and flexibility in schedule you can find some cheap flight to London and then some really dirty cheap deals to Rome or Napoli (Naples).

Here are few thoughts:
- find shelter and plan how to support yourself (yourselves). Do this in advance, otherwise don't go
- don't be too optimistic or fully yourself - it will be tough periods. Remember "Optimist is uninformed pessimist"
- get visa - working or study or any other type, don't ask me which one or how to get one
- learn some Italian before leaving - it helps a lot
- talk with someone who lives in Italy or who studied or worked there
- native English speakers are always welcome language school . You don't need a lot of experience. My wife meets two girls from England who did this in Rome. They didn't even bother to learn a single Italian word in 3 years
- you can give private lessons in English - just bring with you few elementary school English Grammar books
- your girlfriend can work as baby sitter - Italians simply love German and English nannies
- you can always work in some bar or restaurants
- this is the best one: go to college - any college!! There are many public universities and I think you can find some with yearly tuition in $300-$500 range. This can help you with visa issues. I have friend who graduated from one of these college and he actually worked full time as bartender. Replace "bartender" with "pole vaulter" and you get idea
- Google is your friend
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Ramy Yasser
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ramy Yasser » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Yea Petrov works with guys under 5 meters
it's me who knows about Petrov's pole vault school
and i would be glad to help anyone

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I thought Alan told us all at the MD camp that Petrov gets pissy with all us <5.50m guys wanting to work with him? Maybe i misinterpreted what he said. Petrov is in the business of winning and making money. I could see a training program for 300 a yr only if there were 50+ guys coming every week. How many times a week do you actually work with Him? With his assistants? Or is it a once a week deal that you MIGHT be lucky enough to have petrov work on some high bar with you?

I would take a 5 days/wk training plan with a coach who understands how to coach the Petrov model (which is equivalent to his assistants) over a once or twice a month meeting with Petrov himself anyday. Kyle, you should find out ALL the details of a plan like this before you make any serious changes. I would hate to see you move out there looking for the best, to only work with him once or twice a month or to have a less involved coach than you are looking for. Personally, I would much rather have a coach that knows 75% of what petrov does, working with me each and every day and giving it his/her all, than petrov himself not giving his full effort toward me as an athlete. More information is needed.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:38 pm

I'd think that most of the guys would be young talent for the most part... He does do some work with beginners. I'll ask Ramy to get back on and say what's up.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Ramy Yasser
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ramy Yasser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:15 pm

hey jason
I think Alan was wrong about that because Petrov Do accept all vaulters.
He divides his school into two Divisions; Division B for guys below 5 meters which is in Florence,Italy and Division A for guys over 5 meters which is in Formia,Italy .
My team mate used to go last two vacations to Division B school and they trained everyday 3 times a day and it was awesome as they receive the program from Petrov himself weekly by FAX and they send him a feedback of all the athletes in the school.
His Assistance is called Franco and he is a really good coach with an outstanding CV.
Actually, I know an Italian Pole Vaulter who trained with Petrov and Franco and he has just broken the italian indoor record for 5.31 m and he was born 1991.
They told me that Petrov is away a lot of times because he is always with Yelena Isinbayeva but he keeps on being updated.

I can make you connect with my team mate who went there or even with one of the pole vaulters in this school to help you , and believe me they are perfect and they also focus on gymnastics which not all of our coaches focus on.

Glad to help you anytime

Steph
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30

Unread postby Steph » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Hey Kyle,
From someone who has been there *fairly* recently I would stay in the US. I love the east coast, but I would head west..If you have friends and your girlfriend in AZ than Dean might be a perfect option. Go out for a camp or talk to him and see if you guys are of like mind. Getting a place to jump and someone knowledgeable to watch is one thing.. but when I jumped my best I had someone giving me my workouts lifting/running/jumping/drills plyos etc AND a team to do them with. It is fairly easy to get motivate yourself to jump, another thing to get going for a hard workout. I would look for both of those wherever you end up.
You have to also factor in COL, proximity to meets, use of "other" equipment weight etc, and actual track near by vs. just a runway. Again I think finding a "group" to train with is almost as important as the coach.
Just my two cents
~S
Those on top of the mountain did not fall there.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Well unless Vitali has had a major change of heart I believe that there is a fair amount of disinformation being put out here. When I arranged for Jeremy Bailey, Robbie Pratt and Giovanni Lanaro to go there in 2006 he was very reluctant to accept them. The only other vaulter there at that time - and who has been going to Formia on a regular basis with his coach, was Kevin Rans 5.70. I will be amazed if Vitali works with males jumping less than 5.50 - but he does have a very competent assistant. Given that Gibilisco left because he did not feel he was getting enough attention vis a vis Izzy I find this notion that you can train with him for 300 a year very strange. 300 would be more like it - if he would take you!! Yes and I know that he works with other athletes like Murer, the Polish girls (all world class) and their coaches but I suspect that IZZY keeps a tight rein on that.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Kyle -one possible solution for you -and probably a lot of US vaulters in the same situation - is for you to help me to convince Roma to set up a shed in Knoxville and establish a training group. This is not to disrespect US coaches but here you have a guy who in my book is number three in his understanding and application of the Petrov method -if that is what you are SPECIFICALLY looking for. I say that because there are several excellent independent coaches - that I know about (there are probably many others I do not know about) around the country with the necessary skill and facilities to help you improve - but good as they are they do not have Roma's specific background.

Hey Starkey - how much extra pocket money do you get for pushing your old man's barrow????
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”