summer weight liftign program

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PV1328
PV Beginner

summer weight liftign program

Unread postby PV1328 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 pm

can someone please post or messge me with a summer weight lifting program my coach keeps telling me to lift and i dont know what is benifical to pole vaulting :P

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Train for power... do plyometrics, and train strength and speed individually as well. If personal messages are working now, pm me and I'll send you my entire work out schedule, lifts and technique.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Unread postby marshall » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:42 pm

whats your height and weight?

because if you are extremely light, you will have to add on some mass to continue improving speed and basic strength. to do that you need to do submaximal lifts for reps. example, 75% of max on the bench 10 times, 4 sets.

once you reach a good weight you have to up the intensity of your lifts and cut the reps. 5 or less. this way you are building explosive power with minimal hypertrophy (addition of muscle mass).

your main exercises in the weight room should be olympic lifts such as the jerk, power clean, and dead lift. they use the most muscles and joints while also teaching you how to transfer power from your lower body to the uppers. they are the most vital exercises to building strength.

then of course there's the other basics like the bench, the squat, curls, leg extensions, and leg press to get you stronger but keep in mind olympic lifts are THE thing to do.

PV1328
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV1328 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 am

ok thanks but what is like a good weight... especially considering i am a female.. I dont really know much of anything

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 am

Get your school's strength coach to teach you how to do the powersnatch, clean, push jerk, etc. THEY ARE DANGEROUS LIFTS IF NOT DONE PROPERLY!!! Start with LOW WEIGHT (as in no weight on the bar,) until you have mastered the lift's form. Ask them about how to structure your sets too.

Don't try to go and find your 1RM for all of those lifts... if done properly, that could take weeks in the gym. Start out with low weights until you're confident enough to move up, and pretty soon you'll have a good idea of your 1 repetition max (the most you can lift only once), and you can start building up your program. Personal training is the thing to do, get someone who knows what they're doing to go to the gym with you and help you get started. You can only learn so much from non-hands on things like reading a message board. Oh, and I sent you my work out schedule, check your mailbox if you haven't already.

marshall
PV Nerd

Unread postby marshall » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 pm

PV1328 wrote:ok thanks but what is like a good weight... especially considering i am a female.. I dont really know much of anything

hmmm... now im at a loss. haha i honestly have no clue what a female vaulter's lifting workout would look like.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:47 pm

marshall wrote:
PV1328 wrote:ok thanks but what is like a good weight... especially considering i am a female.. I dont really know much of anything

hmmm... now im at a loss. haha i honestly have no clue what a female vaulter's lifting workout would look like.

A) Muscle doesn't know gender at all. There is no known chemical difference between a male and female's muscle structure--i.e. males and females can, and should, train the same way.

B) 4 sets of 10 at 75% of an honest maximal effort is going to be EXTREMELY difficult if you watch your rest intervals for that type of lifting. (the amount of rest that you should take between sets is directly related to how many reps you are doing--and more reps is less time, not the other). I would strongly suggest starting at about 60% (65% at most--if you have been lifting a lot lately).

C) If you don't know where to start, just know you can always add weight in you later sets. Starting too heavy is going to burn you out, and the rest of the workout is going to be crap.

Take home message--listen to powerplant and seek out your strength coach. If that doesn't work, many people on this site (myself included) have workouts for all levels of athletes, and while I cannot speak for us all, I am more than willing to share. PM if you'd like.

--Andrew

marshall
PV Nerd

Unread postby marshall » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:13 pm

the reason i said that was because im not sure how much muscle mass a female vaulter needs. elite female vaulters i have seen are not bulky at all, while many male vaulters are pretty buff at around 180-190.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:33 pm

marshall wrote:whats your height and weight?

because if you are extremely light, you will have to add on some mass to continue improving speed and basic strength. to do that you need to do submaximal lifts for reps. example, 75% of max on the bench 10 times, 4 sets.

once you reach a good weight you have to up the intensity of your lifts and cut the reps. 5 or less. this way you are building explosive power with minimal hypertrophy (addition of muscle mass).

your main exercises in the weight room should be olympic lifts such as the jerk, power clean, and dead lift. they use the most muscles and joints while also teaching you how to transfer power from your lower body to the uppers. they are the most vital exercises to building strength.

then of course there's the other basics like the bench, the squat, curls, leg extensions, and leg press to get you stronger but keep in mind olympic lifts are THE thing to do.

I really dont see any benifit in adding mass befor strength. Force=Mass times Acceleartion... also translated to Acceleartion is Force divided by mass. So in all aspects of running and speed you want to be able to apply as much force as possiable while weighting as little as possiable.

Size has nothing to do with strenght... look at Allison Felix aka chicken legs, Her senior year of high school she started a dead lifting program and increased her max from 150 to 300 but only gained 2lbs.

Some people may argue that you have to have innital mass to make stronger but I have a friend who is 5'6 135lb (exact same size as me) but can benchpress 215 and squat like 380. He even looks about the same size as me but is just a lot more chizled, and can run about a 4.4 (Football timed) fourty.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Size has nothing to do with strenght...

Wrong... If this is true, then why aren't there any skinny MetRx World's Strongest Man champions? Why do powerlifters go on winter 'bulks' (gaining a lot of weight, not necessarily muscle weight either...)? The more muscle that you have, the more room there is to harbor strength.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:16 pm

well strenght in term to force needed to run...how many powerlifters have you seen pole vault lately?

its all about realtive strength.... that fat aint lifting no weight....

if a 400lb man can apply 700lb of force to the ground with every step but a 160lb man can apply 400lb of force then the 160lb man is obviously gonna be a lot faster because he applies 2.5x his own body weight while the 400lb guy only applies 1.75x his weight.

here is an article to look at on http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

marshall
PV Nerd

Unread postby marshall » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 pm

VaultPurple wrote:I really dont see any benifit in adding mass befor strength. Force=Mass times Acceleartion... also translated to Acceleartion is Force divided by mass. So in all aspects of running and speed you want to be able to apply as much force as possiable while weighting as little as possiable.

Size has nothing to do with strenght... look at Allison Felix aka chicken legs, Her senior year of high school she started a dead lifting program and increased her max from 150 to 300 but only gained 2lbs.

Some people may argue that you have to have innital mass to make stronger but I have a friend who is 5'6 135lb (exact same size as me) but can benchpress 215 and squat like 380. He even looks about the same size as me but is just a lot more chizled, and can run about a 4.4 (Football timed) fourty.

increase in muscle mass is necessary for development of speed and strength. there is going to be a point in time when a 135 pound built will reach its maximum speed/strength potential. at that point you need to add muscle mass in order to continue getting faster and stronger.

what this means is that you can easily gain strength without adding weight but at some point you WILL need to add weight to continue getting stronger. basically there will be a ceiling you will reach with little muscle mass, and to break it you gotta hit the weights.

as for the girl you described... dead lifting is a lifting exercise practiced with max weight. her deadlifting program was most likely a program which included a maximum of 5 reps per set, if that. and a workout which includes high intensity and low reps is there to build explosion, and as i mentioned before limits addition of muscle mass. now, if she deadlifted 80% of her 1 RM, 10 times per set, 4 sets per workout she would have probably gained a lot of mass.

you must have initial mass in order to convert that into muscle, not strength. thats why skinny kids have a hard time gaining weight even when their numbers in the weight room are increasing.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”