my heel!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

my heel!

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Today, at practice I got stood up by a pole, and when I came down I landed on the corner of the runway with my heel, has this happened to anybody, and about how long until it will stop hurting?
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:34 am

dude it could hurt for a while. Good thing is, chances are if you just landed on it that you didnt tear anything, just got a really bad deep bruise. Take TONS of ibuprofen and ice it as much as you can. Start light jogging as soon as you can but make sure you ice a lot before and after you jog. Its just gonna be sore and inflamed for a while probably, but no real chance of further injury. Its just the more you inflame it by running hard the longer it will take to get better, so only do very light jogging if any at all, and you should be good in a week. Have your trainer check it out to be sure though.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, I have been icing it like crazy, and I am just taking the rest of this week off so i will be ready to go for the meet on thursday.

pvchick
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'10.5

Unread postby pvchick » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:17 pm

its very difficult to break your heel, especially if you are wearing shoes. ive only seen it twice in gymnastics. but both of my heels are bad from gymnastics and whenever i hurt them i ice a ton. another thing you should do, as much as it might hurt, is to massage your heel. i was told if you dont rub the spot that hurts you will get a calcium build up and have a permanent bump on your heel. it hurts really bad at first, but i didnt do it on my left heel the first time i hurt it and the trainer was right, so now im stuck with a lump on the side of my heel.

hope it gets better soon

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Yeah, it doesn't hurt as bad anymore, thank God! I have my first meet tomorrow, and i just bought some gel heel cups to use, but I don't think it will bother me too bad, but it is suppose to rain and be windy :mad:

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Gel Heel Cups are not the answer. Hard ones are. It isn't cushioning you need, but spreading the weight to the whole heel rather than the spot that is bruised.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:23 am

Rhino wrote:Gel Heel Cups are not the answer. Hard ones are. It isn't cushioning you need, but spreading the weight to the whole heel rather than the spot that is bruised.

Yeah, but that would require that they are molded to his heels. Gel does a way better job at spreading the load, than a hard heel cup that isn't hugging his heel completely.

IMHO, of course :)

cliffhucker
PV Newbie

Unread postby cliffhucker » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 am

that happened to me last year, it is very painful but stick it out it will get better in 2 weeks at the most
live longer to play longer

murkinrg
PV Beginner

Same here

Unread postby murkinrg » Fri May 09, 2008 5:05 am

Yeah

Last weekent at a league match I aborted a vault rather too late and skidded into the box and by heal wacked against the back of the box.
I carried on vaulting but the following day and all week I've hardly been able to walk on it.

Good thing is its getting better by the day.
I guess try not to do too much for week or two then gradually it your
''heal will heel''

Rob
:D
Hi i'm Rob, I'm 42 and live in the UK.
I compete on the masters scene, I run 60m to 200m + PV.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”