Vault Height to Long Jump Distance

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:55 pm

I tried long jumping today at practice after reading through this thread, and the results are pretty depressing.

My pole vault P.R. is 13' and all of my long jumps were between 16' to 17'! Granted, I know absolutely about proper long jumping technique or anything about long jumping, but I was hoping for a little better than that.

I guess I'll work on it

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm

How should one incorporate this into a workout? What do you think?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:54 pm

powerplant42 wrote:How should one incorporate this into a workout? What do you think?

We usually do that stuff on days in-between jump sessions. MW we jump, Tuesday we would the plyo stuff, and then Thursday some light running (200m repeats things like that). Friday we would just warm up and shut down so we were fresh for meet day.

I think I found a small correlation between vault height and LJ ability from 3 lefts. They were about the same size for us. A 5.20 guy, would go about 5.20 in the LJ from that distance. Has anyone else seen this similarity (a sample size of 5 or 6 guys isn't exactly valid to make such a claim). Maybe people can go out and try it... report back..

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm

PV PR: 10ft
LJ PR: 15'
Had been vaulting for 4 years at that time.

Never practice LJ--just did it one day and qualified for districts (this was several years ago in HS)
"taste the happy, michael"

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:11 am

mooski33 wrote:PV PR: 10ft
LJ PR: 15'
Had been vaulting for 4 years at that time.

Never practice LJ--just did it one day and qualified for districts (this was several years ago in HS)

So I am assuming the LJ was done with a full approach? (Just want to make sure I am envisioning the right stuff...)

bambam
PV Beginner

Unread postby bambam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 am

LJ - 21'2" competed 2 years
PV - 13'6" competed 6 months

Height - 6'1"
Weight - 145lbs
Pole - 13'6" 145

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:36 am

Yeah, I just took my vault steps (minus the plant) over to the LJ runway--it was a while ago, but I'd guess it was a 7 step.

bambam
PV Beginner

Unread postby bambam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:51 am

mooski33 wrote:Yeah, I just took my vault steps (minus the plant) over to the LJ runway--it was a while ago, but I'd guess it was a 7 step.

I did the same thing, but it was a few feet shorter because I was not as fast with a pole in my hand.

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm slow w/and w/out the pole...
BUT, I've got power!
ha

Lax PV
PV Follower

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:31 pm

I guess (in my humble opinion) the data is only reasonable if both events are trained equally. In most exercise physiology and biomechanics research there is a "mock test" before the actual test to allow the athlete to learn the skill that is to be performed. The learning curve can alter the performance a great deal.

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:45 pm

I think it ultimately depends on what exactly you're looking at. If you just want to see if polevaulting correlates with above average LJ marks, then training in the long jump is probably not necessary.
Something else to look at is polevaulters exposure to LJ--most polevaulters have seen enough longjumpers and have enough body awareness to mimic what they've seen in the LJ pit.

I think a study looking at how PV experience correlates to LJ skill levels (examining technical skills in addition to marks) would benefit more from a pre-training sort of session. Just some thoughts though--really who ever is doing the studying can completely decide their controls and their variables!

If it makes any difference, I did LJ in middle school prior to starting polevault in highschool. But didn't do it at all in HS--so I had some training in ms, but for the most part, I ran the way they told me to run in PV and jumped the way I'd seen longjumpers jump. (I just don't count my MS track experience as 'practice' or 'training')

..man..I always have something to say! ha

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Unread postby marshall » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 am

there's a huge correlation between the two events. jan johnson brings it up in his sky system's video and he attributes it to the fact that both events (when done well) have similar takeoff technique.

both require the athlete to get an explosive one legged takeoff with the chest slightly infront of the hips in addition to the fact that a strong core is vital to both.

another note, according to johnson sergey bubka, during his prime, was rumored to long jump a 26. twenty six. thats just ridiculous.

as for me:

pole vault PR - 11'
long jump PR - 16 or 17
experience - 2 years PV but i think its more like 6 or 7 months because i have football in between and i dont pick up a pole for a good 8 or 9 months between seasons

height - 5'9
weight - 160-165

i dont really long jump because it hurts my shins but i can definately score in the event. its strange that my long jump sucks considering in 6th grade the 1st time i did long jump i hit a 12. bulked up and didnt do it since then though haha

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”