Sand pit or landing pad Jagodins

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Sand pit or landing pad Jagodins

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Recently it was suggested to me that it may be interesting to conduct a survey of coaches that use sand pit drills. As you may see in this video, Agapit uses this type of drill in the landing pad and Petrov used it with Isenbayeva in the sand pit. I believe that it reinforces key positions and improves take off mechanics that prepare the jumper for a powerful swing while minimizing the pounding of full approaches. So coaches, are these drills useful or relevant?

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/223472 ... -to-London

https://youtu.be/0P2tXseTg1A

PVstudent
PV Pro

Re: Sand pit or landing pad Jagodins

Unread postby PVstudent » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:59 am

Pole vault sand pit drills and exercises are a vital coaches tool in introducing the basic techniques.

With intermediate and advanced vaulters it can be used judiciously to reinforce and provide repetition training loads because of the shock of impact attenuation(increased time and displacement distance for impact force dissipation) and the security created by the pole tip striking and penetrating into the sand whilst allowing the pole to bend and recoil. The shoulder joints are less likely to sustain repetition strain injury and recovered shoulder injuries subjected to less "jerk"!

A disadvantage of sand pit drills for intermediate and advanced vaulters is that all landings are restricted to 1 or 2 feet landings.

Jagodins when performed to swing past the pole to flat back landing on the pads are excellent drills to help with trunk to arm "closure technique" in the Petrov - Bubka Model of Inversion.

Jagodins to 2 feet landing on the pads reinforces the final upspring take-off and the setting up of the vaulter to execute powerful straight leg swing.

The second type of Jagodin drill does not teach /coach the momentum transfer, especially by the trail leg, in connecting the swing to rotate the vaulter about the shoulder joint axis to achieve inversion in time to use pole recoil effectively. (Please refer to video cited below).

https://youtu.be/flqvZ6GzMDg
Every new opinion at its starting, is precisely a minority of one!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:54 pm

PVstudent wrote:Pole vault sand pit drills and exercises are a vital coaches tool in introducing the basic techniques.

https://www.facebook.com/FabianaMurerOf ... =2&theater
This appears to be beyond the introduction of basic techniques. It was suggested by Kirk that I perform a survey. After he lit me up and suggested that this is a beginner drill (and my mentor was in that league). I appreciate that PVStudent took the time to weigh in on this.

It is my interpretation that we/they (Fabiana and her coach) are working on reinforcing key positions. This is a modified Petrov drill so I'd say that she is practicing a component of the PB technical model. (Yes it exists and is real).

What says ya'all???

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 pm

We do exactly the same drills with 3lb. ankle weights on!!! We also do them on soft board and rubber runways! No stress on the knees!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:02 pm

I use sand drills as part of our warm-up. To me, they are a great way to get the timing of the plant while reinforcing a high top hand at take-off.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Jagodins or what I call "Take Off Drills" are absolutely essential for every level of vaulter at every training phase. The pole vault is 90% Run, Plant, Jump(Take-Off). Everything after that is actually pretty easy. Yes, you need to train a straight trail leg swing, but Jagodins are the true "essence" of pole vaulting, both in the sand and in the pit. Most beginners and intermediate vaulters love to, what I call, "insta-swing". They basically skip the take-off entirely : ). There isn't a single vault day I don't do Jagodins.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”