bent arm press support PLANT

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

charlie
PV Pro

bent arm press support PLANT

Unread postby charlie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, here goes!!! John Pennel--Mauris Hovion-Konstantin Volkof, ALL did the Bent Arm Press support Plant Before Petrof or Bubka--Bubka just took it to another level with a 17' grip on a big pole! NONE of these vaulters tucked, they had a EARLY plant--EARLY press--EARLY up and EARLY off!!!! That is why they all got shot up off the pole out in FRONT of the bar!!!!! I am offering my services for FREE for 8 weeks to ONE female vaulter that can hold a 14'6"grip and ONE male vaulter that can hold a 16'6" grip! With in 8 weeks, the female will vault 16' and the male will vault 19'. Will see if anyone can prove me wrong. The guarantee is only valid if it is done MY WAY!!!!!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: bent arm press support PLANT

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Yikes! Charlie, Charlie, Charlie! I LOVE your enthusiasm, but ...

If a vaulter can hold a 16-6 grip, shouldn't he ALREADY be a 19-foot vaulter? :D

I don't know about Hovion's or Volkof's, but I would not promote Pennel's "bent arm press support plant" as a good thing (pressing with the bottom arm). I tried to vault his way in HS, and it wasted the last 2 years of my HS PV career, and then I also wasted my college freshman year for my UW coach to undo the bad habits I developed in HS.

And what the heck do you mean by "bent arm press"? You're not talking about any need for a vaulter to press with his bent bottom arm IN ORDER TO BEND THE POLE are you? :confused: :no:

I'm also confused by your reference to "PLANT". Do you mean before or after the JUMP? If you mean BEFORE (since the PLANT is before the JUMP which is before the TAKEOFF), then why the emphasis on the "bent arm press"?

I have no issue with the bottom arm being used to position the pole into the box BEFORE the JUMP and TAKEOFF. But I don't know why you feel the need to call that a "press". :confused:

Yikes!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Charlie - with all due respect - and I do respect your passion and commitment - I think you should stay off that hooch they are distilling up in the mountains. What you are saying is an insult to a lot of coaches in the USA who do know their stuff and who are beavering away in difficult circumstances without much, in any, support trying to help athletes get to those levels.

As I always ask anyone who gets carried away on PVP, show us film of the athletes you have already coached and let us objectively assess your claims.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Sorry , but I have the right to my own opinion ! I,not trying to convince you or anybody else, of my coaching expertise!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Unfortunately Charlie - any athlete with the athletic potential AND the intelligence to achieve what you would be aiming for, would require more that a simple statement of your beliefs before they would commit themselves to your program. They would like to see some evidence that you have already helped athletes reach that level or something close to it. I am a reasonable golfer but I suspect not too many Masters champions would ask me to coach them. On second thoughts I am not that good a golfer!!!

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:36 am

Been a member of 4 different Country clubs and WON the club Championship in ALL 4!!!! That's not luck, just like the pole vault, and coaching, I'm dam good at BOTH!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:43 am

Well let me know who takes up your offer.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

So do Iactually have to prove to you I am able to grip that grip, or can I just Blog that I am that talented and you will take my word for it?
Man Up and Jump

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:47 am

I,m from the old school!!! You have to show me!!!!

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

Well, any athlete that you coach will likely be under 30, which is likely "new school". It sounds like a great opportunity, but a leap of faith on the vaulters part. I wouldn't be able to take the risk. Good luck though!
Man Up and Jump

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:58 pm

I could give you lots of examples--one was a decathlete-- 26 years old 6'2 180--110 mtr hurtles 14.1 --11'6" vaulter I had him for 8 weeks, and in the last week, he cleared 16'8' with 14'8' grip' decided to not persue Olympic trials--( achiles INJURIES) and is now studying religion at Liberty Un!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”