New pits - HELP!

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

OVHSpv
PV Newbie
Expertise: highschool vaulter and coach
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

New pits - HELP!

Unread postby OVHSpv » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Ok so were looking to buy new pole vault pits but cant seem to sort it out. One place wants almost $20,000 after tax for just the pits and a weather cover. Then gill has a cheap one for about $9,000 for the pits and weather cover. Ive heard from other coaches to stay away from the "cheap" pits but I can never get any real information on what I should be looking for while shopping. We can aford a little more than 9,000 but no where near 20,000! Any information on what I should be looking for as far as specs / brand would be great. Also I've heard of events that purchase brand new pits and sell them off when the event is over. Giving a basically brand new setup at a used price, any thoughts on this?

By the way we are a high school in california if that helps with requirements. Thanks so much, in advance, for the help!

-Andrew

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: New pits - HELP!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

The brand name pits, like Gill and UCS are all fine. Some of the off-brand companies sell pits that are both not as thick as standard, and not as dense of a foam, so kids are bottoming out at like 13'+. I don't know which company(ies) it is because the pits I have seen with this problem did not have any brand names on them. Gill and UCS use a very dense foam, so even their smallest pits are very safe. There are some other small companies who make great pits, I'm not trying to suggest you have to go with the big players, those are just the ones I am most familiar with.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

UCS, Gill and Richey are pits that I have had good luck with personally. I would go with which manufacturer offers the best warranty. I have seen as long as 10 years.
Chris Milton

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I sell Elite Athletics PV and HJ pits. We've had one in our facility for years and it's held up well. Several schools here in Arkansas have bought them from me over the years and they're very pleased with the quality and duration of them and they come with a 10 yr. warranty. Elite Athletics is a much smaller manufacturer out of Corsicana, TX with much smaller overhead which means the price is also much smaller. PM me and I can quote you some prices on the sizes you're looking for. I think Gill and UCS make great pits but Elite pits are constructed just as well in my opinion.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:12 am

Elite pits are great, I have experience with them. I've probably used Richey and not realized it, they are a well established company with a good reputation.

Getvertical_PV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Coach, High School Coach, Club Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'
Favorite Vaulter: Wamerdam

Unread postby Getvertical_PV » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 am

I highly recommend Richey pits as I think they hold up well and their standards are great too.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 am

Richey, UCS, Gill, AEE all make decent pits -- How covers attach, wgt of the vinyl, density of the foam, warranty, and do they stand behind the product - place we have held the Indoor Master Hept for over a dozen years recently switched to AEE pits - been very pleased with them (I also help officate meet there) so things like set up are important -- make sure you compare same size including front extensions if any, std pads, if they where all the same size and thickness, would be easy to give an opinion on which ranks best - some are so close it comes to cost (make sure you look at shippin cost also)
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm

We have a First Place by UCS . It's a nice pit. My only gripe is the center back section pushes away from the front sections ( buns) and creates a void. It seems to put excessive wear on the landing pad if we don't push it back together every couple of jumps. The high jump pits have a velcro seam to hold them together.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”