trail leg

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

trail leg

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:28 pm

When you swing up into pike position, do you keep your trail leg straight or bent? I've seen straight (bubka) and bent where both thighs rest on the chest and calves are at 90 degree angle (hartwig and many others)?
The Matrix has you...

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:45 pm

Swing with your leg straight. All of those guys do. What you are seeing is whether they allow their legs into their chest after they have initially swung. That is a pretty individual thing and one way doesn't generate any more force than the other.

Barto

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:49 pm

There's only one world class guy that i can think of that doesn't actually swing his leg straight, and thats Hysong. He actually swings his leg bent the whole way but he's got an incredible take off which allows him to get away with it. However, many people are different in what they do at the top of their jump with their trail leg. I personally like having my leg straight the whole way. When a vaulter tucks their legs in up top it usually means they are behind the pole and getting in the bucket. If the leg swings straight up to the top the hips will already be high when its time to extend off the top of the pole. But its a lot easier said than done. The higher the grip the harder to swing. A soft pole and a good take off thats not under also make it hard to swing.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:43 pm

true you want swing thruogh with a straight leg, and if you can turn up keeping it straight then i definately would go for it. that looks like the smoothest to me(a tucker) but your naturally going to do one or the other i would stick with the one you do naturally. bending your leg in the tuck speeds up the rock back and helps get your hips back higher, a good swing comes from a good takeoff and good timing.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”