steps are really under - HELP!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ennairb
PV Nerd

steps are really under - HELP!!

Unread postby ennairb » Wed May 28, 2003 10:05 pm

lately my steps have been soooo under and i don't know how to fix this because here's the weird part ... usually when you're steps are in you move back and its fixed right?... i've been messing with my steps for like 2 weeks and SOMETIMES MOVING BACK MAKES MY FOOT EVEN FARTHER IN THAN BEFORE!!!! i havent gotten any decent jumps in since like the day of states on may 9th ... because i'm always under so my arm either collapses or i come back and land like in the box or on the runway ... and its not my poles that are too stiff or something ... 2 weeks ago i could work these poles sooo well ... so i really don't know what's up with the steps being like 1 to 2 of my feet in no matter how far im moving back!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed May 28, 2003 11:17 pm

If you're even farther under when you move back then it probably means that you are too far out and you are reaching at the end of your run. Try lowering your grip a little and moving your run up a little bit. Just try and quicken through the end of your run. It would probably help to do some drills/short run vaults from 3 or 4 lefts.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Wed May 28, 2003 11:23 pm

set up your run on the track. put a shirt or towel where the box will go and run your run back naturally. Make sure you feel comfortable and aren't over running your run. Run it a bunch until your consistently hitting the right point at take off. Then, and only then, pull a tape back and see where you're running from. Go to this same point on the runway and vault. If you're still under it means your running wrong. Don't move your step back, but instead relax and be quick in your run.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”