help with getting inverted

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

njvaulter
PV Whiz

help with getting inverted

Unread postby njvaulter » Fri May 23, 2003 7:33 pm

I have been jumpiung 11ft now realy consistently but i just cant get higher. Right now i am using a 13 135 skypole and i am 6ft a little under 130(very skinny). I have a video and i watched it, I noticed that i look at the bar. Its a bad habit i cant get rid of anyone have any ways to fix that. Heres a video of me doing 10'6 and 11.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/polevault ... ty%20meet/

frozensteele
PV Nerd

Unread postby frozensteele » Sat May 24, 2003 12:41 pm

There really is no trick to not look at the bar. You just have to train yourslef not to. What I do to get inverted is try to kick the top of my pole. That also helps me to push off because I am trying not to kick just the pole which helps inversion but the top which makes me get my hips up. Try it. It might work for you too!

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Sat May 24, 2003 2:48 pm

I looked at ur 10'6 and to me it looks like before ull be able to get inverted is you wanna drive the pole forward longer. Good knee drive and keeping the left leg long instead of curling up. This helps you be able to swing back better on the pole. ALthough it is possible to get more inverted the way your doing it now even. Just thought id say this because this is what i am workin on at the moment to get a good swing and rock back.
hmmmm

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Mon May 26, 2003 3:06 pm

It's easy to focus on certain points during the swingup. when you get into pike position, just look up into the sky. It'll stop you from looking at the bar and will probably also drop your shoulders more. I'm not sure about this, but it kind of looks like your 10'6 vault was inside because you swung up so quickly. a longer drive with a long trail leg will give you more time.
The Matrix has you...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”