Getting Inverted

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Kolber
PV Fan

Getting Inverted

Unread postby Kolber » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:22 pm

My coach says I have a decent run, take off, then swing through, but then when I try to get inverted i cant move my hips any higher than my middle hand postition. Im realy good with gymnastic simulation drills, but when i try to put it together on the pole i have a tough time. Are there any other drills I can do to get inverted pr any other motions I have to do?
Last edited by Kolber on Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greatness=greatness

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Try working on that with a lower grip.. it's easier, then when you have that down, work your way up the pole to where your normal grip is.

ross.

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:26 pm

I have no problem with it on a lower grip, but when i get inverted w/ a lower grip, i get vertical wen the pole at about a 45 degree angle.
greatness=greatness

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:55 pm

i have a similar problem, i can vault over my grip when i'm holding at like 8-9ft.. but when i'm up at like 11'6" for my grip (my usual) i can't put that together.

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:21 pm

when you swing through and get rockedback, is your butt higher than your head, or at least even with it? cuz the lower your butt is ther harder it is to complete your invert. if you are rocking back and getting your butt high though....then i dont really know. but you could do bubkas on a bar to work on the shoulder drop, and straight poling so you can really just focus on your form instead of the pole bend and return energy. hope it helps...

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 pm

try to narrow your grip
pain is only temporary victory is forever

LPVG
PV Fan

Inversion problem

Unread postby LPVG » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:38 am

If you have a video, post it. Without a video, I'm thinking that you are probably moving your top hand past vertical when you come off the ground. That moves your center of gravity forward and prevents you from inverting. You could also be blocking with your bottom arm. That accentuates the CG moving forward. In essence, it sounds like you are bringing your legs up, but not locking your trunk to your body in the process (pike). That action keeps your hips down through the vault. When the energy from the pole is released, it is literally impossible to get inverted.

You might want to do straight pole drills to get the feel of inverting before trying it on a loaded pole.

LPVG
BV Coach

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I have some videos of myself on a dvd, im not sure how to cut out some of the clips and post it on here tho, anyways i think im am goin to have no prolem getting inverted now, i kinda just did what i normally do when i jumped but i waited a few seconds and forced my vertical and my coach said it was perfect. Ill try to post a vid and see what you guys's opinon is.
greatness=greatness

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 pm

wow i am really glad that i found all of this information
i am having the same EXACT problem with my vaulting technique

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:55 am

ya i thnk its the hardest part of the jump
greatness=greatness

AdapT
PV Newbie

Unread postby AdapT » Wed May 03, 2006 7:50 pm

I have a question related to this.. One of my biggest problems is not getting vertical. When I watch the videos of vaulters with great form it looks like they get their feet to the top of the pole, which I CAN do. But then they are still in a L position(some more than others) and thats where i get stuck. How do you get your body to straighten out while your legs are still at the top of the pole, what is the best drill to perfect this?... And also, many vaulters look like when they get vertical, the pole is almost unbent, and when it does it pushes them up an extra few feet, is the the poles bending that does this, or is it the person using his/her arms and upperbody to push up farther? I think once I can do these few things, I will easily be able to reach my goal of 12'. My form otherwise is pretty good, I will be posting a video soon.. Thanks.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Fri May 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Im not 100% sure but maybe you should try swinging your legs faster and harder to get invert quicker, and make sure you chop your bottom as much as possible to get fully inverted, thats what helped me
greatness=greatness

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”