Stalling....

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

CHSVAULT
PV Wannabe

Stalling....

Unread postby CHSVAULT » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 pm

well its been 2 years since i vaulted, which im sure wont help this problem... anyway ive recently started vaulting for my college, and once again there is no vaulting coach.. I have never had a coach ive just gone off of videos and experiences.... my PR as of my senior year is 14'6" on a 14'7" ucs ( yes i know crappy top push, but i started figuring out how to get more verticle my last 2 meets.) anyway my problem now is im on a 15'1" ucs and have held just about everywhere on this pole and cannot make it to the pit... i get great bend but i shoot straight up or right back onto the runway..... i think i may need to try to find a 14'7 again or 14' pole... or does anyone else have advice on the stalling matter....
"Fly" -me

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:32 pm

if you're bending the pole lots and you're coming up short, that usually means you're holding too high. hard to talk when i havent seen your vault, but thats the first thing that comes to mind

good luck
jp

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 pm

I suspect that you are a great example of the 'bicycle pump' syndrome - ie probably taking off under and bending the pole a long way before you leave the ground - if you do that you will be lucky to ever make the pit no matter what pole you are on.

Have a look at the Bicycle pump article on "Beginnertobubka.com" and you will see what I mean. :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

CHSVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHSVAULT » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm

well i try to let my momentum carry into the box and thus bend the pole for me..... the bend does not come until im am off the ground.... so i dont know if that is still considered the syndrome...
"Fly" -me

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm

Sounds like you raised your grip too much when you went up poles.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:11 am

Alan, I went to your site to look up the bicycle pump thing. How do I get there from your home page? Thanks...Mike

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:18 pm

If you go to Beginnertobubka.com you should go to the links to articles and it is in there. i presented the concept - badly I must add, because my powerpoint would not work - at the 2005 Summit. I believe it may provide an explanation for why some athletes get rejected back onto the runway and others, although they go very high - seem to drop on to the bar on a big percentage of vaults. I believe it is a question of how early the bend is initiated and when maximum bend in attained. Anyway see what you think.

However it does not seem to be the problem in this particular case - black magic coaching fails yet again!
:crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Thanks, I have the your site bookmarked. 'l gosee what I can find. Mike

CHSVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHSVAULT » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:20 am

well guys.... i went to the meet today and uh ya didnt to to well BUT better haha..... i landed in the pit WOW!!!!! only cleared 12' thats only 2 1/2 under my pr:P lol i think i just need to gain a lil more confidence with this pole and ill be fine but thx for the input;)
"Fly" -me

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 am

I'm finding I'm saying this alot lately. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. Bubba Sparks has reminded me of this several times in the past year + that I've been back vaulting. Later.....Mike

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 am

JMP8928 wrote:if you're bending the pole lots and you're coming up short, that usually means you're holding too high. hard to talk when i havent seen your vault, but thats the first thing that comes to mind

good luck
jp

i agree 100%
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”