Horizontal Standard Settings?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ian x batte
PV Newbie

Horizontal Standard Settings?

Unread postby ian x batte » Sun May 04, 2003 9:53 am

i'm really not sure how to set my standards...i run really fast, and my arms are high and everything, i'm still pretty new, but i'm jumping 11-12 feet regularly. i have them at 15" now...and i'm wondering if i should move them back, and if so, how far. i tried 20" and that still seemed a little close, most people find a happy medium around 24"ish...suggestions?

i often hit the bar on the way up with my feet/knees
<3core

TeddyVault
PV Fan

Unread postby TeddyVault » Sun May 04, 2003 10:15 am

Generally, if you hit the bar on the way up... move them back. If you hit the bar on the way down... move them forward. If you are bending the pole alot and have your standards deep and are still hitting it on the way up, try a little bit bigger pole. If you are really bending the pole and your standards are very close and you are hitting it on the way down... Try holding a fist lower on the stick. If you are not bending the pole much and your standards are deep and you are hitting it on the way up... Try holding two or three fingers higher. (Small adjustments)
Oh, sorry, you just wanted to know about standards... I digress so often.
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”