How many total jumps should you take?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

How many total jumps should you take?

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:31 pm

In competition? I ran out of gas at a meet on Saturday. I did come in at opening b/c these early meets I use as practice and get as many jumps in as possible. But what is the average range of competition jumps you should take? I took 8 and was exhausted.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:36 pm

I have always started 2 height below my PR...so about a foot below.....that way you get one easy height.....one height that is relativly easy but you can't just go through the motions, a jump at your PR (or a couple inches below it depending on what height the starting was) where you need to put it all together, then you have only had 4 or 5 jumps before attempting a new height.
Man Up and Jump

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:51 pm

I start 3 heights below...mostly because since I don't get to vault often during practice (no indoor pit...meh) it means that I'm a bit shaky and need to just refresh my mind...

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:15 pm

i remember hearing somewhere that youre 4th and 5th jump are suposed to be your best.

baggettpv
PV Master

# of jumps....

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:58 pm

You gotta figure it out in practice.
When you are working from a long run, set up the goal of the practice to cycle thru a competition session like:
1 @ pr - 12"
1 @ pr - 6"
1 @ pr
1 @ pr + 6"
1 @ pr +12"
High intenesity, cycle thru 3 times...
always have a goal and always be able to measure your success.

Baggett

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Very good point!

I would also look at your training in general. How much speed endurance did you do in the late fall. You might have a conditioning problem. Though jumps 4-6 are physcologically suppose to be your best jumps it will depend on the individual. Some jump better after the have more jumps around 6-9 as they loosen up. 8 approaches of lets say a 120 feet full run is not that much. That is only 8x37m accelerations with probably well over full recovery rest inbetween. What were you doing inbetween jumps? Did you sit down and rest or where you moving around and doing other things?

If you didn't do anything else between jumps, my guess would be you are either expending to much energy on your pole carry and plant or you need to improve your overall conditioning. Get off the runway and do some workouts that work on your work capacity. Go out do a little jogging so your body can learn to recovery quicker. You shouldn't be burned out on only 8 jumps. Who knows you it might have been as simple as you were emotionally drained because it was an early meet.

Baggett's post would also be a great workout to improve work capacity and confidence when coming in at those heights during a meet.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:53 pm

PVEI says its your either your 5th 6th 7th - 6th 7th 8th or your 7th 8th and 9th jumps that are your peak vaults and you should just try to find which set works. That hasnt worked all the time for me but its a good starting point.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm

I believe you are vaulting for "fun" like me. I don't train consistantly.... I find I have three good jumps after I warm-up. I usually open up 6" below my target mark. The biggest problem is staying lose between vaults.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to ask how many jumps did you make during your warmups. Did you run through like 10 times. Cause if that is the case then you took 18 jumps not 8

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 pm

Not including the 4 "pop-ups" from 35 and 47 ft (3 & 4 lefts). I took 4 warm-up jumps. All I do is conditioning and I don't vault during the week b/c of my situation. I only vault at meets. I think maybe I should have rested a little longer when there were only 2 competitors left. But the reason for this post was I wanted to know what the average number of competition jumps were so next time I can plan accordingly.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Ideally, when I was in shape, I planned on taking anywhere from 6 to 8 jumps in a comp, depending on what I was trying to accomplish that day.

Now that I'ma weekend warrior like Robert, I'm good for about 3-4 warm up jumps and 3-4 competition jumps if i'm running from 6 lefts. If i've been training some, i can eke out 5 or 6 jump in comp before my tiredness starts to affect my technique.

I usually come in pretty low so I don't have to work too hard and get a nice easy clear under my belt. I'll then pass a height or two and start getting serious.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

yasso_polevoult
PV Beginner

Unread postby yasso_polevoult » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 pm

my p r is 3.10 in the last season how many jump i could do &what heigh i hv to star jumping in the match could some one help me

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”