Top arm bending when I jump

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

KentVango
PV Beginner

Top arm bending when I jump

Unread postby KentVango » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:48 am

I am running into a problem when I jump and I am having a hard time correcting it. When I jump My top arm is bending and I can't seem to keep it straight when I jump.....Does anyone have any suggestions to correct this?

TeddyVault
PV Fan

Problems bending top arm...

Unread postby TeddyVault » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:38 pm

Suggestion, yes. Remedy? Who knows.
There is a posting in the General Section about Closed Grip Vaulting, and on there VaultFan posted a great link to a discussion of the closed grip drill by a guy at Mt.Sac. You might want to check it out. By doing a closed grip drill you have no choice but to have a tall, strait arm plant. Enough drills like this might translate over to a full vault, it has for me.
Notice that the article states a PROGRESSION from very easy two step drills to longer more advanced methods. Make sure that you follow the PROGRESSION as it is listed, and run it past your coach first, make sure they understand what it is and why you are doing it.
Emphasis in this drill is on a tall plant and a good drive knee/jump off the ground.
Good luck,
Vault On
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”