Hitting bar with upper body

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Hitting bar with upper body

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:57 pm

ok, i am having some trouble getting my upper body over the bar as high as my legs. when i go over a high bar, ill get my legs up like 2 feet over the bar,and i get my butt over too, but then when im almost over my shoulder hits it and knocks it down every time. how to you get the rest of ur body as high as ur feet, when going over a bar. if its from pulling urself and pushing off the pole, then i must not b doin that, and cadoes neone know how to help? the rest of my vault is mostly good, i just need this to b jumpin a few feet higher and qualify for states :)

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:04 pm

How high are you jumping? "just a few feet' is a lot to ask bud... Anyways you probably do what most people do when the go from being an at or below grip jumper to jumping above your grip... most people in my region and county meets do this too (and so do I most of the time but sometimes I do better.. Im working on it too) what it is you need to do is concentrate on pushing with your lower hand as much as you can.. but then when you get as far as you can your top hand should still be pushing as you pull your left hand twards your body. As you do this you should rotate your left shoulder out of the way as your right hand pushes...

Its not so easy to 'just do it' you probably know what you need to do you just have to think about it and practice practice practice. Also videotape yourself... I personally think pv is mental and if you see that your doing everythign else right eventaully you can just do it right :)

mcminkz05
PV Great

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:51 pm

im right now jumping only 10 feet, but i get my legs over a 12 foot bungee and my coach says if i can get the rest of my body to follow it, id have that height easy.

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:11 pm

I must admit. I can get my feet over 15'-16' but doesnt mean I can get it... just work yoru hardest.. do you have any pictures or movie clips you could show me? Hard to give advice w/o seeing it. PM me and Ill give ya my email.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:40 pm

Are your shoulders hitting the bar off before you turn over? It almost sounds like you are coming to the bar too fast and knocking it off before you even have a chance to turn over. If that is the case you need a bigger pole. You probably also need to work on pulling and turning better once you're upside down.

mcminkz05
PV Great

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:31 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!! THATS EXACTELY whats happening!!!!. and my pole is too small, but the next pole ta my school is a 14-0 140 . the one i got now is a 11-6 130.
and i am 6-0 and decent speed....what shud i do?

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:38 pm

o, and BrondoAZ.......... sure u can get ur feet over like 16, but thats with a good pull im sure. i can hit 12 with NO pullup or turn at ALL.... which means if i cud get those, id b able to jump that..

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:48 pm

Interesting... well champ where your at is a really hard transition stage but if its over yoru handgrip...

Why not try a 13' pole fi yours is an 11'6" right now... what brand are you using? and how is your bend.. Ill recomend a pole if you give me an idea of what you are used to. Ive switched to ESSX in an attempt to improve myself but I havent gotten it down because it is HARD.. although better for vaulting. So Id say you need a 13' Skypole if you want soft and slow with a tad less return or a 13' ESSX with more return. Only thing Ive found with ESSX is its actually quite hard at first having a higher bend.

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:03 pm

alright, i am using an 11-6 130 Pacer. i can only bend the pole so much since it is short and i am tall, but i get good bend on it, and my coach says my bend is great. i really dont have so much a selection as id like, so my school's next pole newhere near my weight is a 14-0 140 and is also a Pacer. iv been holding very low and straight-poling with it a little, because thats my only choice if i wanna get higher. what do u think?

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:38 pm

I think we are cursed to public school vaulting falure.. but our spirit is the same from talking to you. Im not letting the crap that I went through in Highschool take me down in college. Im going to go to school and vault and get coached! But for now check out that poel trader website.. might do you a lot of good.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:38 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:alright, i am using an 11-6 130 Pacer. i can only bend the pole so much since it is short and i am tall, but i get good bend on it, and my coach says my bend is great. i really dont have so much a selection as id like, so my school's next pole newhere near my weight is a 14-0 140 and is also a Pacer. iv been holding very low and straight-poling with it a little, because thats my only choice if i wanna get higher. what do u think?

I think an 11'6 pole is too short for you unless you are super slow. I would only use it from a really short run. Work on your straight pole vaulting on the 14' pole. As you get better keep raising your grip (but only as long as you are landing in the middle of the pit). Maybe you will get to a point where you can bend it.

You really need a 13' pole though :dazed:

mcminkz05
PV Great

k

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:21 pm

i got decent speed--not super fast, but not slow-- but neways, i got another option.. wev also got a 12-6 150 pole too... maybe i shud try that, even though it may b too short also.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”