I keep running through, how do I fix it?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

watervaulter
PV Newbie

I keep running through, how do I fix it?

Unread postby watervaulter » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:15 pm

So im having a problem. I love vaulting, and im decent. But for the past couple weeks, when i step on the runway something happens. Im running from a 5-step, and on my 4th step i just decide not to lift or something and i just run through. Im getting hardly any vaults in. When i get into a competition im fine bc i know i have to go up, i dont give myself the option. So during practice, what should i do? Im hoping someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it, so if you do, tell me, please.

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:22 pm

yeah yo i used to have the same exact problem in practice. i would just talk to myself maybe call myself a p*ssy and say screw it and just jump. also i went down to a softer pole so you know you could get in, that will get your confidence way up. i had the same problem like a week ago but it aint no thang itll go away and youll be doing alot better.
VA for Life!!

goose
PV Beginner

Unread postby goose » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:11 pm

hey man, just treat each practice as a meet. that's what i did and it solved my problems. I only use a crossbar most of the time. But it took me a long time to get over what you are doing right now. I NH three times in a row cause i wasn't getting any jumps in at practice and it was hurting me during the meets. good luck it's just some damn mental block
Josh-from the earl bell camp

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”