need help with takeoff

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Shorty220
PV Wannabe

need help with takeoff

Unread postby Shorty220 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:10 pm

my coach said i have a problem with driving with my right knee. It isn't up enough or something. What can i do to fix this?

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:17 pm

Driving the knee usually comes with running with high knees on the approach. If you are running down the runway with high knees then at takeoff you are naturally positioned to continue that motion. Do pole runs emphasizing high knees, run down the runway without a pole and long jump into the pit holding the takeoff position until you land-- which should be on your right foot and left shin.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:49 pm

Drive knee in my mind is the most misused term in polevaulting. The knee will be wherever it needs to be. More often than not not having a big lead knee is the result of your lead leg being too far behind your takeoff leg when the pole hits. Think of taking another step when you take off. That can help you run through the box instead of to the box. Big difference there.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”