Im stopping!!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Im stopping!!!

Unread postby tim hutzley » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:09 am

I have a good approach but then as soon as I plant i put my trail foot forward with the heel slaming down into the ground on my last step so it takes away all my speed because I hit that last step with my heel. Then I dont vault good. does anyone know what I can do to stay on my toes on that last step and keep running into the pit?

Tim

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:11 am

I used to do that really bad until a coach made me do a lot of pole runs and think about having high knees. If you are keeping your knees up it is harder to take that big stride.

Aside from that, you could do a lot of pole runs and slide boxes and work on getting that last step down quickly.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:09 am

I agree.... Pole runs and plants until you get it right. Keeping those knees high down the runway is something I have my kids focus on everyday. You want to run as tall as possible to prepare your body for the plant and take-off. Keeping those knees high puts you in perfect position to take off and keeps you from doing a "heal step" on that last step.

"Run High, Plant High, Vault High"
"Heart"

polevaultmaster
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaultmaster » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:11 pm

If your heel is slamming down you may be to far into the box and it may be causing you to lose all of your speed. :D .
I Clear 11'8". I will help you if you need help.

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:59 pm

If you wana try what I do here it is......

I tend to ALWAYS have a longer run when Im vaulting then running steps back sooo... when you do that mock plant put your body at an angle leaning into the pole so instead of being strait your just slightly leaning forward.. it always works for me... then just keep the left foot running off the heal and KICK that right foot and push out your arms... trust me if a 175lb guy can do it you can too ;)

T-Mac
PV Newbie

Unread postby T-Mac » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:19 pm

well im no EXPERT im only clearing in the 14 14'6 area but personally i had this problem early on in my career. pressing out more with your chest while locking out your arms always helps me so im leaning into the plant slightly instead of being underneath which causes you to have to be on your toes and the heigh knee drive helps also. Also for me, like in long jump, if you keep your head down and look at the box(board) then your last step will be messed up or not where it should be. one guy on our team was having trouble with this too so we had him wear the jumpshoes for a short period of time during drills, if that option is open to you, so he could get used to jumping off the front of his foot and got the feeling of how it felt. just alil bit of advice maybe it will help maybe not. good luck tho
R.F.J.H run fast jump high the key to track and field

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”