problems with...everything?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

problems with...everything?

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:07 am

ok so ive posted a few things on problems i had all this season....but the truth is ive probably had every problem imaginable( not counting injuries) with my technique. And still at the end of this season, sure ive fixed a few of the problems ive had, but ive either gotten a new problem or just still have the same. ok so with my appraoch/run , i am told by many that i have very good speed in my approach, but the thing is my last three steps, the most important, go from long to longer to longest, slowing my speed down...without the speed i will end up with not as good of a thrust for my take-off. And with my plant i still have the same bent arms..cant get them straight for some reason..and thats what i have worked on for along time. With my new 11' 140 sky pole, my hands are abit straighter since the pole is more flexible( i hold at about 10'7 on my 11' poles btw). so with my hands being bent... i swear i really get no swing...and then i dont get inverted. Also i come out of my vault to soon..its sorta like i try to go around the pole and then my legs are over to early and i have nothing to push off of at the right time cuz i let go of the pole too soon. And i think this is my last problem thankfully, but i also dont turn all the way soon enough( i think has something to do with letting go of the pole too soon) so when im over the bar im not facing belly down, im on my side. i guess what im trying to say is..i really dont know what to do, because i know i can get way higher than i am jumping... and it kinda gets me down :( b/c my goal this year was 9'6 and i only got 8'9.... had good attempts at 9'( izzystikchik knows shes seen á pic of my attempt at 9 using my newest 12' 140 sky and holding at 11'3...Hey Liz!). so would it be a good idea just to work on one problem at a time to get it fixed?...because apparently working on them all hasnt really helped.
Any info or advice on any of the problems will help...thanx.

-ill try to get a link for a pic of my attempt at 9'at the meet of champs posted on here if i can.
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! - SIU Salukis

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:27 am

Learn to read and get a copy of "Beginner to Bubka". All your questions will be answered.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:44 pm

altius wrote:Learn to read...
I should probably get going on that huh?
Just you wait...

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:58 pm

Sorry Tigervault - My post should have read, "Learn to read Oarstrayiun ...." :crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:42 pm

haha ok well im glad u clarified that now...was thinkin u were trying to crack a blonde joke :P

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:11 am

*TigerVault* wrote:haha ok well im glad u clarified that now...was thinkin u were trying to crack a blonde joke :P

How would he know you were a blonde? :P

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:06 pm

How would he know you were a blonde?

ohhh yaaaaaa!!!...no im playing...i didnt really think he was makin a blonde joke. duh! :P

dlee59
PV Newbie

Unread postby dlee59 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:01 am

Ok, first of all, get the book and read it as I'm sure it's excellent. In the mean time don't get down about your 'problems'. We all have or have had them at one time or another in our quest for a higher bar. Stop thinking of them as problems necessarily, they are symptoms of mental and/or physical things you are doing in your vault. All of which are fixable. Some, easily, some may take some intelligence and perseverance to break through. (You've given us quite a list) Yes, work through problems 1 at a time, many of the other problems will go away when that's done.

First things first, see, your lengthened final strides indicate that you are afraid to plant. For whatever reason, new pole, holding higher....whatever. Doesn't really matter and in fact is probably several things built up. Those last 2 to 3 steps need to be either, the same length, or what's better, a little shorter than the others to be able to drive up and off of the runway. Get comfortable with a run, shortened if necessary, that builds speed to the explosive takeoff you are looking for. Get that working for a start and see what happens with pole bend, swing, turn, etc. Build a solid foundation to work from and the rest of the vault will start to fall into place.

dlee59
PV Newbie

technique

Unread postby dlee59 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:17 am

Tigervault,

Remember, the vault is ONE movement from the start of the run, to landing in the pit. 1 movement. Just like a gymnastic move. Yes, it's a loooong movement but you have to think of it that way. Get your intellect out of the way when you start your run, it's timing and feel from that point on. Your intellect is for everything up to that point then feel from then on.

We pull the movement apart and study the individual parts for training but connecting it all back together is what we are after and after all is the really fun part! :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”