Taking the next step

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Taking the next step

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:22 am

anybody have any advice for a kid that is going to jump on his first series of 15' poles and is having a hard time gaining the confidence to take them up. I know i am fast enought to take them up thats not the probublem. i just get close to the box lower the pole and run through becase i am afraid or something. anyone with any tips on getting on these things would be much appreciated.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:13 pm

Stop being a wussy chris and just DO IT!! ;)
What have you done today to get better?

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:15 pm

^ darn language filter :P

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:54 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:^ darn language filter :P

lol :dazed:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:04 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:^ darn language filter :P

Good it works :P

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:39 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:Stop being a wussy chris and just DO IT!! ;)

That is the sort of advice that gets people killed! Transitions can be difficult - especially from 14 to 15 because many vaulters trying to make that transition are not taking off well enough to make it. Speed alone is not the answer, You MUST have stabilised your run up and take off point/ take off technique before you try to make the transition. Dont try to do it in comp - try in training under perfect conditions with a medium tail or no wind at all. Also remember that for example a 14/170 is equivalent to a 15/155 and that fact alone can make things tough - if you are 160 plus!

Why did you make the change -how high are you gripping? More importantly how high are you vaulting? Too many young athletes try to make the change when they have not even begun to exploit the potential of the shorter pole.

If you have everything under control technically and physically AND YOU ARE ALREADY JUMPING 30/50 CENTIMETRES ABOVE GRIP HEIGHT! then i suggest you try mental rehearsal in which you visualise yourself taking off - just taking off by the way - not finishing the vault. Just concentrate on getting off. Also try positive self talk in which you remind yourself on the thousands of times you jumped on the previous pole.

However i suggest the original author has a look at all of the advice on making transitions that has appeared on this site. Definitely do not listen to idiots who tell you that you are a wuss! :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:20 pm

altius wrote:Definitely do not listen to idiots who tell you that you are a wuss! :)

:eek: We are good friends and that comment was simply joking and he knows it, thank you!

PV Wannabe

Unread postby 95 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:18 am

if you haven't already, try holding the longer pole with the same grip (or even a lower one) so that you'll be basically assured of hitting the pit . Then you can be more comfortably raising your grip.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:25 am

Stiffness before grip height.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:03 pm

all good suggestions besides adams. ryan i know and i have done this and i have run out of other poles that i am not blowing through. i have gone on all of my 14'6'' 's holding about 14'3''. i can finish vaults well on these but i land so far into the pit i cant evan attempt to go over anything.my next stiffist pole would be like a 14'6''175+ but i dont have anything like that so instead i am going to use a series of 15's that i have.i can succesfully hold high enough and get into the pit but going up poles seamse to mess with me for some reason. as for how high i am jumping i have jumped a clean 14' bar (in practice but at least a bar) holding about 12'7 on a smaller pole.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”