hand grip... help me!!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

PV CaRaZzY65
PV Newbie

hand grip... help me!!!

Unread postby PV CaRaZzY65 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:30 pm

heya, i need some help with my hand grip... this is my first year vaulting and at my first meet i cleared 7.0 then 7.6 and the last saturday 8.0, i progressed really well but now i feel like im stuck, i have good speed but my hands tend to slip an awful lot, im not sure how to fix this problem, i feel like im holding on really tight but my hands move anyway, if you know of anyway to help me let me know!!!! thanks!!
*In Some States It's Illegal To Get This High...*

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Hands slipping

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:37 pm

Without knowing your stats (how tall, length of pole, how high is your grip, etc) the general rule of thumb is that you will slide down the pole nearly the same amount the you are "under" on your take-off!! Try to start where your hands end up after sliding. Don't change your step. See if you slide now. If not gradually move your step and grip up. Have someone catch your step to make sure your not over striding.....That usually works for the new vaulters I coach. :D

PV CaRaZzY65
PV Newbie

stats

Unread postby PV CaRaZzY65 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:21 pm

my pole is 12'6" and its a 125 (i weigh about 115), im holding about 10 feet up so my coach says that i should vault as high as my top hand but im stuck at 8'6" because my hands slip, does that help any? could it be a lack of strength to pull myself up?

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:38 pm

do you feel like your hands are slipping because you can't get a good grip on the pole??

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:59 pm

No, it 's not a function of your strength. It's about the correct combination of speed, grip, step, and take-off. Go back to my last post and TRY my suggestion. Slipping on the pole is nearly 98% due to being too close to the box (being under) when you plant. Try dropping your grip to the point it stops slipping....leaving your step where it is....and you should be able to get in without slipping. Then gradually move your grip up and back. The ratio is : for every 4 inches you move up move back a foot! don't question it just trust it and it will work.......

PV CaRaZzY65
PV Newbie

thanksss

Unread postby PV CaRaZzY65 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:05 am

alright, ill try that tonite at practice, thanks a bunch!! and i tell ya how it works out!!

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:12 am

If you're not taking off 'under' - then its likely you're slipping because you're currently holding too high. First check/fix your step - and if the problem still persists, then you should probably lower your grip.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”