I cant get my pole to bend.

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

solid
PV Newbie

I cant get my pole to bend.

Unread postby solid » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:27 am

I'm 115lbs and 5'8" and I use a 125lb pole. I have a good drive and all that but when it comes to planting I can't get the pole to bend to my will! It'll stay stiff. My coach says its my lower arm that I'm not pushing and I'm trying to get vertical too early. Anyone got any suggestions?!

Michi
PV Newbie

How to bend a pole....

Unread postby Michi » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:36 am

I had a lot of trouble when I first attempted bending poles, but there are a few litle tricks that can help. For starters, NEVER go upside down on your first attempt with a new pole or new run, or if you're trying something new. Just stay upright and ride to pole into the pit, landing on your feet.
<br> Next, build your confidence a little. If you have a pole at or just below your body weight start with that, but remember DO NOT go upside down on a pole that is under your weight. When you run in and plant your pole do not push out with your bottom arm, this will only cause your shoulder to get jammed and you will lose any energy you gained in your run. Instead, push up with your bottom arm, this will not only start bending the pole, but it will also start the pendulum motion needed to start getting inverted on the pole. Once you have done this with a small pole, then start moving up to a bigger pole.
<br> Hope this helps. ^_^

~Michi~
"Words and words and words unspoken."

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:44 am

You don't want to push out with your bottom arm. You probably need to work on pushing up through the pole with both arms. You want to push up over your head. Also, make sure your takeoff step isn't under and that you are taking off where you should be. If you are taking off under it is almost impossible to get a nice tall plant.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:46 pm

you should do lots of slide box drills and 5 to 7 step planting drills with a stiff pole like for you mabee a 130 or 135 you just run plant and your coach will stand in the box to hold your pole and you dont do anything exept plant and get off the ground then your coach lets you down.

Tim

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:14 am

zack wrote:You don't want to push out with your bottom arm. You probably need to work on pushing up through the pole with both arms. You want to push up over your head. Also, make sure your takeoff step isn't under and that you are taking off where you should be. If you are taking off under it is almost impossible to get a nice tall plant.

i should show you this video when i took off at 8' on a 14' grip, it was a 14' 13.8 flex on my opening height of 14'6".. i cleared the bar, but, before i even got to the bar, i was yelling (#$%^#$, my back hurts), BUT, my plant was nice and tall though..
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”