planting or running with the pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

planting or running with the pole?

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:40 am

I am just wondering whether it is more effective to run and plant with the pole,or running with it like britni lawrence does. It seems like a lot less effort worrying about the plant :)

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:40 pm

For beginners what she does is great but in the long run the common carry is most affective when used right. By dropping your tip corectly you use the proper rythm and acceleration.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:17 pm

It just depends a lot on the athlete and how you were taught. If you've been taught to carry from the beginning (as most athletes have) you're probably not going to jump any higher sliding.

We teach our kids both ways and go with what works better. All our kids that slide the pole also know how to vault carrying it except for maybe absolute beginners.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:43 pm

Velocity wise, pushing kicks the s*** out of carrying. I think when it is done right it has huge advantages to carrying. When I played with it my M/S velocities were an average of .2 faster. It also puts you in a better position to have a good take-off. Some say that the dropping of the pole causes a lift effect at take-off, but I am not sure I buy that. I was not successful at it simply because I would grab the pole with my left hand way too late, but despite this, I was on bigger poles with higher grips however I was just a little out of position and I never really made it work.

theswede
PV Newbie

pushing - wind effect

Unread postby theswede » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 am

I am an older collegiate vaulter getting back in this with my daughter. When I vaulted pushing did not exist, but from looking at it, I would think it could eliminate a bunch of no heights with cross winds.

Is this true for those that have used this method? If so, I would be a proponent of teaching both.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:23 am

Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: pushing - wind effect

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:35 am

theswede wrote:I am an older collegiate vaulter getting back in this with my daughter. When I vaulted pushing did not exist, but from looking at it, I would think it could eliminate a bunch of no heights with cross winds.

Is this true for those that have used this method? If so, I would be a proponent of teaching both.

That's one reason we want our kids to be able to do both, it makes you a more versatile vaulter.

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:42 pm

When I carry the pole, I think too much. I concentrate too much on the plant and if my step will be on, so I tend to slow down at the box and jump more up then out, so I can't roll over the bigger poles. I was on a 13-50 from 7 lefts while carrying a couple weeks ago, and when I push, I'm on a 13'6-70 from 8 lefts. When I push, I have my left arm free while I'm running so it's more like an actual run, therefore I feel faster and more in control. I'm able to run and jump through my take off much better because I'm not slowing down and worrying about the plant. I can grip higher, run faster, get on bigger poles, and therefore jump higher while pushing the pole. This definitely varies with each vaulter though. Lots of people can't get the timing of getting the bottom hand on the pole at take off. We've always done short run drills pushing so it wasn't a big transition. I just thought I would share my thoughts! :D
Isaiah 40:31

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:00 pm

yay that helps...I definitely find that I concentrate too much and think about other things if I'm carrying the pole

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:26 pm

I've never ran without carrying the pole have seen people do it. But when carrying the pole you cant go a frame without lowering it there has to be motion of lowering it correctly each frame. .. Staying relaxed and having rythm with the pole has bigg roll too. An intense run can either slow you down, mess up the plant and mess you're take off up.

I've always had problems with over thinking..Now i just pick up the pole and go! it' helps me stay relaxed. i guess concentrating too much was a problem ..for me
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

APKpolevaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby APKpolevaulter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:45 pm

When i first started out, i didnt push, but i ran with the pole just holding the tip off the ground. I didnt feel like i could run as fast, but i was better prepared at the takeoff. I dont see how you could fun faster pushing, but i dont know, i would be worried of the pole catching a bump or just like bouncing over the edge of the box.

I have never had a problem with the pole carry, it came very easy for me, I guess i dont think about it at all, i just make sure to get my arms up high at the takeoff.
<--Mike. 2004 Florida AAU State Champion

*FASTER~STRONGER~HIGHER*

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:42 pm

on the drills you're talking about, you have both hands on the pole a while keeping the tip off the ground, so that is much harder to run in that case. When I push, I only have my top hand on the pole and use my bottom arm to run, so it feels like a normal sprint. Regaurding bumps and stuff on the runway.....you have to check out each runway before you jump, and if it has bumps or a lip on the box, then you carry the pole. We work on both ways so we are able to adapt. Again, running faster pushing may vary with each vaulter. It may feel awkward for some people.
Isaiah 40:31

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”