how do you get that extra 6 inches?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Shorty07
PV Newbie

how do you get that extra 6 inches?

Unread postby Shorty07 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:42 pm

I just started pole vaulting this year (I'm a 9th grader) and I love it! Today, I got a PR and it is now 7'. See, when I see you people getting 13 ft like it's nothing,it's like woah. So, I got 7 ft, I didn't get 7'6. On my third try I moved my hand grip up some and almost got it. My coach says I have good speed and just like last week he was telling me to kick more but come on, I got 7'. So my question is, how do you get up that 6 inches? Any tips?

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:45 pm

during the meet on thursday, my coach told me to move my hands up a few inches and to just make sure to have the legs as vertical as possible especially the left one and to have the right knee as the drive up knee. and my tip, don't think too much when vaulting. it clutters the mind.

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:50 pm

the one thing about polevaulting that you can't forget is that there are no safe quick fixes. This is a slow progession sport. be patient, put your all into pratices, and soon, mabye not as soon as you want, but soon you will wounder why you ever even worried about 7'6
Ow

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:48 pm

ummm.. huh huh huh.. uhh.. beavis? huh huh huh
i need to grow up
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:10 pm

HA HA It's just to easy John!
run high and hold fast

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:51 pm

Its good to see another ohioan on here. Don't worry bout the next six inches. Even the 13' jumpers that you see started down there at one point. Focus on technique while you're still new to the sport and have fun while you do it.

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Wed May 05, 2004 12:51 pm

technique, technique, technique, technique.

I'd guess for about most males, all heights up to about 9'6 or so can be gotten by maximizing the speed you have, driving the lead leg fwd, keeping the trail leg back, and timing the swing (when your coach wants you to). Also, you have to make sure that your arms are perfect during the plant. a non- up and down plant (ie curved) can send you to the side, taking away those six inches.
The Matrix has you...

Mechant22
PV Newbie

Unread postby Mechant22 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:14 am

Ive been vaulting for two years and i still feel like im starting out, but going back to the begining is probably the best thing. Whenever i go back and focus on the very basics that i first learned when i started, like basic rope work for your trail leg and pole run after pole run, it always helps. I tend to focus on the actual jumping at practice and i forget the basis of it all. Sounds simple but i hope it helps. Just have fun :D
"My jump was imperfect, my run-in was too short and my hands were too far back at takeoff. When I manage to iron out these faults, I am sure I can improve."
Sergei Bubka

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 am

das_1971 wrote:the one thing about polevaulting that you can't forget is that there are no safe quick fixes. This is a slow progession sport. be patient, put your all into pratices, and soon, mabye not as soon as you want, but soon you will wounder why you ever even worried about 7'6

Exactly, it took me almost a year to imrpove 6" from my 11'6" to 12'. It takes a while sometimes. Be patient. :)
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

K_Rabbit
PV Wannabe

Unread postby K_Rabbit » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:52 pm

Trust me, even the 13ft vaulters (me) feel like crap when they look at the 15 ft vaulters. Technique is the most important thing.
There is no secret to jumping high...It just takes hard work.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:05 am

Do any of u think like "oh wow, 5 feet isn't all that much" when u see it on a tape measure, and then just totally freak when u add it on ur P.R.??? And K ur right, 15 feet looks intimidating even if u can jump 13 or 14.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:03 pm

Shorty, 7' really ain't that bad for a seventh grader. That's your class, 7th grade 7 feet. Especially if you just started to vault. My guess is that you're 5 feet or under (tall) so you're still doing a couple of feet taller than you are. (Keep in mind that I am a glass half full kind of guy). Anyway, do a lot of sprints with the pole. Get comfortable running the fastest you can with a pole in your hands. You'll still be doing the same sprints and "pole running" when you're a senior and beyond. Work at getting your feet verticle. This will take a lot of work. I never really did get 'em up as high in the air as I should have, so this too will be an on going area of practice and improvement. Your pivot at the top has to be worked on. And for you, at your stage work that part at shorter heights and with shorter runs. I think the kids call them "pop ups". And one final thing that this ol' geezer maight add, is do the 2 crossbar deal like I explained to izzystikchik. You basically set one crossbar at 7 feet on the standards and the other 2 or 3 feet higher and jump and clear the lower bar while kicking off the higher bar. Start out the excercise kicking off the top crossbars with your toes as you're going up. Then work on kicking that top one off with your heels as you're going over. Once your melon gets used to the plant, the getting the legs up, the pivot at the top, and the push off, then you can work on the stuff that will get those feet added to your personal best. It'll come, just listen and try to do all of the stuff the folks on this forum suggest and you'll be happy with the results. Good luck and keep us posted on your improvement throughout this coming season. Later...................Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”