frustrated

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

blazerunner121
PV Pro

frustrated

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:37 pm

lately, i've been frustrated in that i'm not able to clear 8' :( in the last 3 meets in the past one week and a half. during practice, i've been able to clear 8'6" :) but i guess i just get so freaked out during a meet that i mess up at 8'0 :crying: all the time. i was wonderin if anyone had this kind of "block" and when they were able to break it?

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:32 am

I know what you are talking about...except that I never had the problem in practice. After a NH :( at my first meet, I got 10' at the next one that I went to. After that it seemed like I kept getting 9'6" over and over again. Believe me, I was frustrated. At the last meet, I got 10' again. The only adjustment that I made was a mental adjustment. I was worried so much about making 10' that I would overthink the entire jump and miss. At the last meet, I visualized the jump before I went, then cleared my mind, took a deep breath, and vaulted. Basically, just let your body vault and forget about the crossbar being up there. When I cleared my mind and relaxed my vault totally changed...it had better form, was fluid, and it felt easy! You might be overthinking the vault and the height, and your frustration might just be adding to your stress. Try to relax and you will both enjoy and improve your vault. :)

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:38 pm

i think i ma in the same pool as u guys... its very annoying not to PR in a long time, and its more annoying knowing taht you can... i am sure it wil come for all of us sooner or later

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:15 pm

injuries suck more than not pring :no:

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:58 pm

I've got to agree with you on that. Injuries are definitely worse than not PRing for awhile because they're both painful and prevent you from vaulting your best.

Shorty220
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Shorty220 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:06 pm

omg im soooooooooooooooo frustrated too! my arm won't block out when i plant and i know it is all mental. I haven't been able to fix this for several months and i barely feel like i have improved. I really hope by tomorrow things will "click" b/c there is some county meet ugh. What does anyone think of when they vault? I have a feeling i think too much...

PoleVaultinPete
PV Newbie

Unread postby PoleVaultinPete » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:04 pm

When I'm vaulting I concentrate real hard on the plant. A good plant will set everything up for at the top. But after I'm off the ground things seem to go by so fast that I'm not sure what I thinking.
WWSBD (What Would Sergey Bubka Do?)

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:19 pm

theflyingkorean wrote:injuries suck more than not pring :no:

yeah, will a hurt hamstring and 1 more week of not being able to vault/ run, i have to agree :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

CHSVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHSVAULT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:11 pm

ya you guys just need to relax dont think about it the bar may psych you out the plant may there are many aspects of vaulting that can play with your head...... u just have to relax and let things fall into place.....vault like you know how to its almost natural :D

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:48 pm

CHSVAULT wrote:ya you guys just need to relax dont think about it the bar may psych you out the plant may there are many aspects of vaulting that can play with your head...... u just have to relax and let things fall into place.....vault like you know how to its almost natural :D

yea, i realized that i do think way too much and too hard on jumps. i'm trying to let things go with the flow

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:06 pm

and remember, you just have bad days sometimes. in the last two invitationals i've cleared 8'6" but during our regular meets i've been going 8'. how's the adrenaline rush during meets?
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:09 pm

Vaulterchick88 wrote:and remember, you just have bad days sometimes. in the last two invitationals i've cleared 8'6" but during our regular meets i've been going 8'. how's the adrenaline rush during meets?

i think sleep and rest made a big difference as well as filtering out personal life from pving. i def. had more adrenaline rush during Thursday meet from the benefit of sleeping and relaxing more than on Tuesday when i was in a nervous reck.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”