Body Twisting to the Side

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ZacharyKonkel
PV Newbie
Expertise: Vaulter Since April 2012
Lifetime Best: 10'0"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Body Twisting to the Side

Unread postby ZacharyKonkel » Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 am

Hey, this is about my 6th week vaulting and if I get two more feet I am headed to state! I got 10'6" in practice, easy, and was headed to 11' except a problem occurred! Usually the top of my pole was where I excelled, however, it would seem I have back-tracked!

Last meet I got ten feet, but I was sort of launching myself forward and not up, and the reason why is because my body is turning. When I went to a 3 step to break it down and work my way back up, I started with just the plain kick of the left leg forward into the pit. I would end up turning left, though. If I could describe how I finished, I was sitting down on the mat, with my legs about a foot left of straight. When I try to put it all together, I flail really badly at the top of my pole (my legs have always been spread apart), and I don't end up going straight up and down, I go up then just turn around. It's frustrating as this has been happening for the last 3 days, and I have 13 more days to prepare, so any advice would be appreciated ASAP!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Body Twisting to the Side

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am

Zachary, I wouldn't say you've "back-tracked". Perhaps you've become a little impatient trying to get to an advanced height. Most certainly you want to vault higher, but don't discount what you need to do on the ground first before such as developing an excellent approach, plant and take off. There are multiple high school vaulters out there doing 13'-14' who cannot do much at the top or "launch forward" as you put it, but who have developed reasonably good ground skills. Trust the many individuals here at PVP that write the same thing about the APTtitude; if you didn't get it, that's having a good aptitude about developing the Approach, Plant and Takeoff. Believe me when I write that you can improve on height significantly in 10-12 days if you focus a little more on the ground skills instead of focusing on clearing a bungie in practice. Literally, I have seen 1-1.6' increase in 10 days due to practicing more ground skills. So, go away from the pit to the track and practice developing a good, consistent approach. Work on establishing a mid point mark. Work on moving your hands fast and high at takeoff. Learn to use your takeoff foot correctly whereby launching yourself up and through the pole. Good luck, but remember good luck in the pole vault is more about good practice and what you practice.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”