Fear of the bar

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

murkinrg
PV Beginner

Fear of the bar

Unread postby murkinrg » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:33 am

We've been training all through the winter and have been useing bungey/elestic to vault over. I've been doing ''unofficial' PBs (I think you say PRs in the USA) and was gaining in confidence.

However,as we are getting ready for competitions we've started vaulting iver a competition bar and it totally freaks me out!!! My technicque goes, I start hugging the pole and trying to muscle my way over instead of working the pole and so it all ends up in a mess.

I once landed on my back on a bar and broke it and got a bruised back in the process and so I think i've developed a phobia about bars

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Chers
Rob in the UK
Hi i'm Rob, I'm 42 and live in the UK.
I compete on the masters scene, I run 60m to 200m + PV.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:31 am

Sometimes, when my kids get scared of the bar I just start using barbed wire to practice with. All of the sudden that bar doesn't seem as intimidating!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am

think... first of all if you do things right, you wont have to worry about the bar, because you will get over it!

When competition comes around, you should be much more concerned with how you are getting over the bar than what the bar will do to you. If you knock it off, 9/10 you dont land on it. Execute your vault correctly and remember that a bruise isnt as bad as a NH.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:36 am

Ha ha I've also seen a bar lit on fire that should help with the intimidation factor.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 pm

The simple solution is: PRACTICE WITH A BAR.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

PV1328
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV1328 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:56 am

i have the same problem and we have tried lots of stuff the best thing is to transition into it by placing a bar a little bit under the buingee and going for the bungee and then you just think about how you vault with the bungee not the bar and then once you can do it only practice with the bar or at least do some jumps with the bar every practice!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”