Problem "going straight"

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Eemerica2s
PV Newbie

Problem "going straight"

Unread postby Eemerica2s » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 am

Almost every time I PV, I seem to go a little to the right when landing on the pit, but even worse is twice so far I have fell off the pit and onto the standards+cement. Any one know what might be the problem? I dunno what info you need to help so just ask and I'll put it in.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:12 pm

yeah i had that prob. about 2 weeks ago, the only thing you can do is make sure your planting in the center of the box and follow through and keep you arms straight
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

scsuvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby scsuvaulter » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 pm

if you are not landing in the middle or center of the pit when you are vaulting it is most likely the result of not having a high centered top hand at the point of take off. Make sure that you work hard on having a strong tall plant!!! This sets up the rest of your vault. ;)

Hope this helps,

Bobby

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:48 pm

you're either planting off to the right a little, or you're holding too high.

drop your grip a fist (4 inches) and work on keeping your top hand close to your body when going through your planting motion. A lot of kids roundhouse their plant and plant a little off the right as a result.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

JKSvault
PV Beginner

Unread postby JKSvault » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:21 pm

you're either planting off to the right a little, or you're holding too high.

In many cases, a plant that is off to the right side is a result of the vaulter planting too late. You probably also feel as if you are being "jerked" back when you plant. Work on your plant sequence so that you are able to get your plant up before the tip hits the back of the box.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:13 am

All good answers.

One thing I felt compelled to note... If you are landing on your standards or on cement then your pits are illegal and shouldn't be jumped on. I was appalled the first day I showed up to coach at our high school and noticed that someone had poured a cement slab for the pits and not placed padding to protect it. That is an accident/death waiting to happen. Since that time we have had the excess cement removed and all surfaces covered with rubber track surface.

So definitely take all of the previous posts as great advice, and get your coach to fix your landing area asap!!

Good Luck and always safety first!
"Heart"

nikegirl07
PV Newbie

Unread postby nikegirl07 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 pm

How fast are you going? SPEED gives you the momentum to go into the center of the pit along with a good plant

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:58 pm

just need to plant above you, simple, and your prob getting ripped off the ground as a result. just get it above you and you'll be fine..
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:09 pm

txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:arms straight

when you bend your arms so you can get inverted quicker(which is wrong) you helercopter(sp) so make sure to keep them straight
pain is only temporary victory is forever

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 pm

make sure you swing straight through and arent swinging a little from one side to the other as well.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Eemerica2s
PV Newbie

Unread postby Eemerica2s » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:17 pm

indestructo wrote:All good answers.

One thing I felt compelled to note... If you are landing on your standards or on cement then your pits are illegal and shouldn't be jumped on. I was appalled the first day I showed up to coach at our high school and noticed that someone had poured a cement slab for the pits and not placed padding to protect it. That is an accident/death waiting to happen. Since that time we have had the excess cement removed and all surfaces covered with rubber track surface.

So definitely take all of the previous posts as great advice, and get your coach to fix your landing area asap!!

Good Luck and always safety first!

Yeah I should probably say something about the standards..

Thanks for the help everyone

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”