Warm up Routine

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Warm up Routine

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:31 pm

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find it and am in need of some advice. Basically after pulling a N/H almost every meet the last year and a half, i have finally decided my warm up routine is inefficient and perhaps a large part of the problem. I say this because what happens almost every meet is that i do not take off the ground a single time in my warm ups. Once the meet starts, its run through, maybe take up a bad plant with an under step, then if I am lucky I will take my last attempt up and completely blow through the pole.
What happens in warm ups, is i will have my step measured out, but for whatever reason running from that same step my first takeoff step will be at 11'6 or 12' (ideal), then the next at 10'6, then maybe one at 9', another take off step at 10'6, so on. Then the meet begins and i have already lost. i am of course realizing the inconsistancy with my run is not all based on warm ups, and taking off at a not-under step is a mental thing (when step is good i feel too far out?), but i believe the warm up is part of the problem.
I would appreciate if any experienced vaulters could possibly share with me their warm up routine, or any suggestions or advice on what i should be doing before i even do run throughs, or what i should be doing while taking them. Anything else that could possibly help would be much appreciated as well. Anything.
If it helps any, I am a soph. vaulter at a D1 College, and my rountine now is lots of static stretching while i wait, jogging, then a basic plyometric warm up, followed by a few accelerations. Then I will hop on the runway and start my runthroughs, i don't waste time with pop-ups or any drills for that matter.
Thank you!! AM
What have you done today to get better?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:40 pm

You need to get a mid-mark established :eek:

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 pm

PVEI.com has a page with warming up and a routine for it, looks pretty good to get your body warmed up, I do most of the drills on there and I feel it works for me.

http://pvei.com/fusion/readarticle.php?article_id=113

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:24 pm

i can give you a routine if you need it on sat. its the one from when i was on the team i think its really good.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Adam,
This is my suggestion... like becca said, establish a midmark and then do pole run after pole run to get a consistent run and step with a towel or something laid out on the track for a box. I think part of the problem is inconsistency in the way you run each time down the runway. You need to develop some sort of rhythm that you can call your own and is comfortable to you. This is my first step I would take!

Next, I would static stretch, and then do dynamic stretching or sprint drills after you jog a little bit to get the legs moving after you static stretch. After you do some sprint drills, I would do some accelerations like you said, maybe not 100 percent, but rather 80 percent or so just to get warmed up. This next part is key... WASTE YOUR TIME DOING POP UPS!! Those are vital for me, even if I only do 2. It wakes me up to realize that I have to vault today. After doing that then I would go back to my full approach and start warming up, not taking more than 3 or 4 warm up jumps total! Just my thought process!!

Zach
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:31 pm

By the way, are either of you two guys from Novi area going to be at the GVSU meet this friday?
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Sebes
PV Whiz

Physhological

Unread postby Sebes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:52 pm

I agree that a proper warm up can be associated with your trouble, but it's probably a physchological problem as well. Do you have similar troubles during practices when there is no pressure? If you're experiencing anxiety, fear, and all of those other annoying symptoms during a meet...then it doesn't matter how well your warm up routine is. In that case you need to practice with Meet-like conditions. A sports psychologist should also be available at your school that can help you. Good luck.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Sebes, thanks for the advice and I see what you are getting at, but it is not psychological (not now anyway). I do have similar trouble at practice, if anything i am more focused and perform better under pressure I think.

Zach, you make a lot of great points. First off, I do spend a significant amount of practice everyday doign pole runs with a towel, then a slide box. Once i establish my correct mark, it does not change and the run is consistant in terms of take off mark. this is why I decided to explore the possibility of my warm up routine at a meet being trouble. The same thing does happen in practice however, the take off step changes. When it is good i don't take off i feel out, then when i do take off it is under. I guess this means it has to do with taking off the ground, if the pole runs are consistant. Hmm. i never thought of using pop-ups as a means of "waking up to vault", that is interesting and certainly worth trying. thanks for the advice, you guys are making me think. And as for GVSU Friday I havn't decided whether or not i am going yet, but I would like to.
What have you done today to get better?

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:31 pm

Here was my warm up routine from back in the day

jog
static stretching
dynamic stretching
sprint drills
accelerations
pop ups
couple of short run vaults
3 or 4 pole runs from long run

then, I would take 1 or 2 jumps on my biggest short run pole from my long run, just to dial in my step and get a couple of nice, easy, relaxed jumps. I'd then switch over to my log run poles and bump my grip slightly, adjusting my marks accordingly.

that worked for me. basically just my way of ensuring my confidence and keeping myself relaxed by starting with easy jump to get off the ground.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Are you sure your run is not the problem. I used to stretch out when i ran, but now im used to running on my toes w/ high knees. However, sometimes i go back to my usual stretching out especially on the last step before takeoff. I think you just need to work on your run. do sprints, and have someone watch you . m ake sure you have highknees, on your toes. etc.
BTW what is static and dynamic stretching?

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:03 pm

static stretching is stretching with long holds....like 5 or 10 second holds(figure 4, and knee to chest, and all of the basic stretches). Dynamic stretching is stretching that quickly stretches your muscles. These can be like iron cross, leg swings, or anything that involves quick dynamic movements. I have heard that doing static stretching too close to running can slow you down. Dynamic stretching is good because it gets your muscles used to moving quickly and you are ready to run.
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 pm

hey zach i am the only guy on this boared from novi and no i dont think that i am gunna be going to the GVSU meet this weekend becuause i am going to the meet at paul babits place on sat morning.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”