BTB

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm

If anyone thinks that what dj is saying is only for 'experts', the Beginner to Bubka DVD, which will be available in the not too distant future, will show young athletes - including relative novices, doing precisely what he is suggesting in the run, pole carry and take off.

Hey Mecham, is that your great grandfather in the photograph?? :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:33 pm

dj wrote:if the left hand is to close to the body...
Exactly how close is too close?
dj wrote:the left hand must be "turned up"!!! and the elbow "under" and near the body..NO exceptions.....
What part of the vault is this? and when is the left hand turned up? at the plant? Explain please.
Just you wait...

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:34 pm

altius wrote:Hey Mecham, is that your great grandfather in the photograph?? :D
I wish i was related to such a cool guy!
Just you wait...

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:03 pm

wow, I love reading this stuff. Thank you everyone who posted

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Mecham wrote:
dj wrote:if the left hand is to close to the body...
Exactly how close is too close?
dj wrote:the left hand must be "turned up"!!! and the elbow "under" and near the body..NO exceptions.....
What part of the vault is this? and when is the left hand turned up? at the plant? Explain please.

He's talking about when you're carrying the pole before the plant. Your left palm should be up towards the sky with your elbow underneath your wrist, not pointing to the side. It remains like this through the plant until your arms are extended.

Too close is your left hand touching your chest/sternum - 4-6" away is ideal.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:51 am

lonestar wrote:He's talking about when you're carrying the pole before the plant. Your left palm should be up towards the sky with your elbow underneath your wrist, not pointing to the side. It remains like this through the plant until your arms are extended.

So... why doesnt Bubka's palm EVER go up towards the sky?
http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/19920713_Bubka_611.mov
http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/19970801_Bubka_601.mov
http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/20000922_Bubka_610trng_lr.mov
http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/20000922_Bubka_610trng_rl.mov
His left palm is always facing outward and never up in the plant
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:01 am

I can't answer the question about Bubka, but when I went to a clinic Petrov did in Atlanta, he was saying about the same thing as DJ.

This
http://pvpower.polevaultpit.com/04petro ... 30209.html
and this
http://pvpower.polevaultpit.com/04petro ... 20167.html

not this
http://pvpower.polevaultpit.com/04petro ... 20168.html

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:27 pm

I dont think the left hand is as exaggerated as dj and lonestar say. Sure it might be turned a little for the sake of resting the pole with something other than just your thumb. But during the plant and take off, you cannot have your whole palm facing upward. If you do, how can you let the left arm come over your head like agapit says is necessary? Try it.
Just you wait...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Mecham wrote:I dont think the left hand is as exaggerated as dj and lonestar say. Sure it might be turned a little for the sake of resting the pole with something other than just your thumb. But during the plant and take off, you cannot have your whole palm facing upward. If you do, how can you let the left arm come over your head like agapit says is necessary? Try it.

Go back and watch some video of Bubka when he initially picks his pole up, before he takes his first step. His left elbow is BELOW his left hand. Yes, it's not exactly palm-up, but for the sake of describing it in words, that's the best exaggeration to get the point across. Basically, don't hold your left arm like you're reading your watch b/c the shoulder won't move naturally and you'll have too much twisting in your torso when you run. Yes, the palm won't be directly up in the plant, it will be more facing to the right of the vaulter, but even the attempt to have it up will result in prevention of dropping the hands in the plant and a more upward move with the left hand.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:44 pm

I didnt know we were talking about the run up, but still. During his run up and his plant and take off, his hands are never even really close to palm up. In every point of his vault, he has his hands like i explained. It kinda looks like he is looking at a watch, not out infront of him, but down. (the position of the watch is down, he really isnt looking down :P ) He rests the pole on the base of his thumb
Just you wait...

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:58 am

Ok, this will probably completely open a can of worms...not everything bubka did was exactly perfect...no one is...I believe that they are trying to get across though is that the terminology of having the palm up, make sure the left elbow stays below the wrist, and that the weight of pole not be supported by the front wrist. If you look at Derek Miles he has a very rolled over wrist in his carry. If you compare that to bubka you can definitely see the difference I believe that is trying to be pointed out.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:18 am

wacky274 wrote:Ok, this will probably completely open a can of worms...not everything bubka did was exactly perfect...no one is...I believe that they are trying to get across though is that the terminology of having the palm up, make sure the left elbow stays below the wrist, and that the weight of pole not be supported by the front wrist. If you look at Derek Miles he has a very rolled over wrist in his carry. If you compare that to bubka you can definitely see the difference I believe that is trying to be pointed out.
Just as long as the worms are gummy! ha ha!

But, Bubka did pretty much everything better. dj and lonestart were saying that carrying and planting the pole with the left palm up is the correct way to go about it. When it in fact is not.
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”