The tap

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:18 am

I agree about the helmets! :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 am

You caught me out coach . I was trying to win the special prize for the most number of posts by one individual in May and June. An all expenses trip to Reno - especially from here, sounded good.

You have got to remember I am a poor old pensioner with nothing else to do with my time but walk my dogs, drink wine and post on pole vault power. From now on it looks like the dogs are going to have to do some more walking and Im just going to have to drink more wine. ;)

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 am

There is a prize for getting most posts?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:33 am

Mecham wrote:There is a prize for getting most posts?

No. He was being sarcastic.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:31 am

I was thinking that.... if you did have a prize, Im sure the boards would be crowded with... one or two word posts.... like the one i just posted! ;)
Just you wait...

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

WOW the most post awards goes too...

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:46 am

POSTS?
Rainbow girl has it hands down with an impressive 6,000

WINE?
What kind of Wine mate?

ADVERTISING?
Yes if you provide free and valuable info on this forum you should be able to TAG line your wares LOL
But some posts need to be in the sales forum. SO buy his book and others books learn as much as you can about the vault.

DOGS?
Who let the dogs out on this TAP forum?

TAPS?
OK Ok I agree we have so much many variables involved here .
We have coaches and athletes with a great amount experience.
I will admit when watching Toby give Tracy O’Hara a TAP at the Olympic Training Center last month when I was there, I was concerned.
However Tobey has a lot of experience in the vault. ( OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST) His TAP was moderate and within perimeters I could live with.
However we do need to keep in mind that the Old Fogies on here must remember there are many Newbie’s on this forum. And we must add a warning to the bottom of our TAP experience comments to not try this at home without proper experience.

A Tap can vary by 25lbs to 50lbs and I am concerned about pole breakage, and like Altius the lack of a TA on Subsequent jumps.

What WINE was that?
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:02 pm

I dont think a tap can = to 25-50lbs. OR i should ask, how do you figure that? I think the main argument should be, do you give taps to beginners. I really dont think elite or even average high school kids should get taps. They dont need them, They have confidence. Remeber we are crazy?! I do however think that beginners who just started bending and have their transitions to move up poles faster than those who are in a comfort stage should get the taps they need. Plus, it never hurt to have someone right there to push you into the pit if you somehow didnt make it.
Just you wait...

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

PUSH AND A TAP DIFF.

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 pm

I want to point out a push into the pit and a TAP are differrent. A TAP in the air while in flight can be as much as 50 lbs additional load on a pole. No I have not tested it or built equipment to test such a thing.
We just know from years of experience that an in flight nudge can produce more load energy than one thinks!! Based on the fact a TAP is angular energy and adds to inflight movement differrent than energy put into the vault by the plant and take-off. How does one know what energy is already being loaded after the athlete is taking off, how will the TAPPER know how much or how less to help?

Maybe the ASTM might wish to vote on a machine approved to do such testing SMILE

VAULTERS CRAZY?
Turn up side down after 30 MPH plant land on your head and then pick up the pole and do it again?
Why did you say they are crazy?? GRIN

Bruce
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Your cheque is in the mail! You should also get a bonus for putting up with 'The Ark' - how did you manage?[/quote]

It was a trade off, put up with him, but learn a great deal about vaulting....in the end it was worth it, I will take the bonus though, who is making out the check?

Mecham
PV Lover

Re: PUSH AND A TAP DIFF.

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:15 pm

ESSX wrote:I want to point out a push into the pit and a TAP are differrent.
I didnt mean that a tap and the push are the same. Im just saying that if someone is there to give a tap, they are already there if they need a push into the pit. Im not really in favor of the tap that much, 1) because if i dont get into the pit, i know how to land safely. I think there should be a whole other topic on how to land safely if you dont make it into the pit. One example is on Neovault.(its a wicked awesome save) and 2)I have seen people tap lower than they should so their hips sink in really really bad and make it unsafe.
Just you wait...

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Mecham - d'you mean the one from Keenan? If so, ya that is a crazy save.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:36 am

who is making out the check?[/quote]

The Ark of course -so you know what that means! :crying:

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”