The Rules of Pole Vault Part 2

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Re: Idiotic rules

Unread postby wayupthere » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:45 am

lonestar wrote:I personally think there are too many rules in the book, most of them pointless and not in the best interest of the athlete.

Take for example the 2 layers of tape rule? What does that solve? And how about in NCAA that you have to tape bottom up instead of top down? If you're going to allow people to spray adhesives, use sticky tape, chalk or any other resin on their hands, who cares if theres a few knurls in the tape?

I have a few rules suggestions of my own - make the standard movement from 50-80cm instead of 0-80, so we can keep those things back and have people landing safely in the pit. Here's another one I put together awhile back to promote safer grip heights and controlled landings:

The 3 Strikes Rule:

Every part of the vaulters body, including limbs, must land "in-bounds" on the landing surface. In bounds is defined as all areas within 24 inches of the back edge, the sides, and behind the plane of the box.

If a competitor lands within 1 foot of the perimeter of any side of the pit, they receive a verbal warning. This includes during warmups and during the course of the meet. A check will be placed alongside their name on the formchart.

If the same vaulter lands out of bounds a second time, they will be charged with an attempt at the height they are attempting. If the vault was unsuccessful, they are charged with both the unsuccessful vault and the penalty attempt. If it occurs during warmups, the vaulter will be charged with an attempt at their opening height and thus receive 2 attempts at that height. An additional check will be placed alongside their name on the formchart.

If the vaulter lands out of bounds a third time, they will be disqualified from the competition, and will not be credited with any heights cleared prior to the disqualification. An third check will be placed alongside their name on the formchart.

Prior to the start of competition, the "in-bounds" area of the landing surface must be marked with chalk, tape, or any suitable visual marking.

I think this rule would better protect our vaulters than increasing the size of the pit or requiring helmets, which are both good ideas, but unnecessary if this rule were in place.

Yes but just because the area ur landing in the pit rule was there doesnt prevent a vaulter from getting injured because no one jumps in the wrong place on purpose its from accident. Although if your landing in some of those areas of the pit your probably doin somethin wrong so I dunno these are my opinions
hmmmm

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:46 pm

i think what he was attempting to say is that by forcing people to land in the middle of the pit, they are 1, less likely to try stupid things like just grabbing a bigger pole to get in, and 2, if they continualy are not making the landing area, it will give them less jumps to continues putting themselves in danger thus making it less likely that there will be an accident.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”