14' 65 to a 15' 75, any tips?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

tak
PV Newbie

Unread postby tak » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:29 pm

It would be nice to see your jump so we could see if you are doing everything possible to ensure you are going up rather than through the 14' pole (faster swing? total inversion?). However, I'm a huge advocate of sacking up and getting on huge poles just to see if you can!!! The first time I tried getting on a 15' pole, I got blown up and landed on the right side of the runway, halfway on the ground, halfway on the pit, in front of a bunch of elite vaulters at Reno... Anyway, my main suggestion is to get some extra pits and put them in front of the front buns. The best source is always the high jump pits, but if you're lucky enough to have some old vault pits lying around, you can use those too. And no matter what, if you fall on the ground or in the box, just roll and/or go limp. I've seen people tear cartilage in their knees from landing hard on their feet. And make sure you're feeling good on the day you try it. Don't slow down... good luck!

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:27 pm

tak wrote:It would be nice to see your jump so we could see if you are doing everything possible to ensure you are going up rather than through the 14' pole (faster swing? total inversion?). However, I'm a huge advocate of sacking up and getting on huge poles just to see if you can!!! The first time I tried getting on a 15' pole, I got blown up and landed on the right side of the runway, halfway on the ground, halfway on the pit, in front of a bunch of elite vaulters at Reno... Anyway, my main suggestion is to get some extra pits and put them in front of the front buns. The best source is always the high jump pits, but if you're lucky enough to have some old vault pits lying around, you can use those too. And no matter what, if you fall on the ground or in the box, just roll and/or go limp. I've seen people tear cartilage in their knees from landing hard on their feet. And make sure you're feeling good on the day you try it. Don't slow down... good luck!

then you can end up like this
[url][/http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4862&start=0[/url]

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:44 pm

tak wrote:It would be nice to see your jump so we could see if you are doing everything possible to ensure you are going up rather than through the 14' pole (faster swing? total inversion?). However, I'm a huge advocate of sacking up and getting on huge poles just to see if you can!!! The first time I tried getting on a 15' pole, I got blown up and landed on the right side of the runway, halfway on the ground, halfway on the pit, in front of a bunch of elite vaulters at Reno... Anyway, my main suggestion is to get some extra pits and put them in front of the front buns. The best source is always the high jump pits, but if you're lucky enough to have some old vault pits lying around, you can use those too. And no matter what, if you fall on the ground or in the box, just roll and/or go limp. I've seen people tear cartilage in their knees from landing hard on their feet. And make sure you're feeling good on the day you try it. Don't slow down... good luck!

I'm sorry, but that's probably the stupidest advice you could give a vaulter. You should never just "try" a much bigger pole to see if you can get on it. There are too many risks involved. The only thing something like that will get you is hurt.

As for my advice for the original poster, don't even try the 15' 175. its too big of a jump up from the 14' 165. You should try to beg, borrow, and steal (well, not really steal) a 14' 170 from somebody or try asking around at meets. Have your coach call around to the other schools and see if they have one you can borrow.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:19 pm

i dont think you meant 14 170, a 14'6 165 would be ideal, and you would probably get on it in a day, from there more to a 15' 165 and then start moving up in weight. OOORRRR you can try to find a stiffer 14' pole, and then start moving up in length. Personally i took the latter of the 2. I was on a 14' 145 when i weighed 140, and now im on a 14' 160 weighing 143, and im still holding 6 inches from the top. Im just now going to start moving up in length. gives you more POP which is the best part about pole vaulting :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Ok now that you inform me that people say it looks like the ends almost touch i have 2 things for you to do.
A.) get a 14' 175 or 180
B.) Jump OFF the runway, not into it.... if you jump straight forward its called dumping on the pole, and it wont get you through the pit as easily, just bend the crap out of the pole. Work up in weight before hieght.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:44 am

ok, re-read the thread and see you have gotten a 14' 175 that you say is too small

......seriously....14' 180 if you can find one, then transition to a 14' 185 if it gets too small. a 14' 6" 170 would be ok as long as you keep your grip height the same. I would not try the 15' 175. that is equivalent to a 14' 195!

Please remember guys, higher grip does not equal higher jump!

I don't post because I like to see my post count go up. I post because I like giving sound pole vaulting advice. I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant a$$ or anything, but I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not directing this at anyone, but the potential is out there to get bad advice from someone on this site because they are inexperienced or just not properly coached. I think the intent is good, but some just don't know enough about the event and the risks involved.

tak
PV Newbie

Unread postby tak » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:25 am

I agree that the transition isn't ideal, but I empathize with schools and athletes who cannot afford a complete series of poles. Conventional wisdom would say go up by 5lb increments up to 15 lbs over your weight on the same length pole before going up 6 inches in length... the problem is that to accomplish that, you need a LOT of poles. What if that is not an option? Then you need to resort to maybe a tap from your coach, have some extra pits around, do some solid pole runs with the big pole, believe in yourself and make a big jump on that next pole (without trying to get inverted, of course). It is a risk, but if you can get on a 14' 165 from 4 lefts, then chances are you'll at least make the pit from a 7 left run with good winds and a tap, when you're holding only a handgrip higher on a 15' 175. I've seen people do crazier things. If you're not even close to getting on it, then you just have to start saving money for a new pole and/or work on your runway speed, plant, and take-off.

I know this may seem like an extreme or dangerous attitude, but personally I would rather risk my safety in a calculated way, just for the chance to go high, rather than wait around for the rest of the season blowing through small poles while I search for a transition pole.

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 pm

tak wrote:I agree that the transition isn't ideal, but I empathize with schools and athletes who cannot afford a complete series of poles. Conventional wisdom would say go up by 5lb increments up to 15 lbs over your weight on the same length pole before going up 6 inches in length... the problem is that to accomplish that, you need a LOT of poles. What if that is not an option?

then you do what I had to do for one of my kids this season: beg, borrow, and steal what you can at meets, call up other schools in the area, or worst case, shorten the run.

Then you need to resort to maybe a tap from your coach, have some extra pits around, do some solid pole runs with the big pole, believe in yourself and make a big jump on that next pole (without trying to get inverted, of course).

taps are never a good idea....

It is a risk, but if you can get on a 14' 165 from 4 lefts, then chances are you'll at least make the pit from a 7 left run with good winds and a tap, when you're holding only a handgrip higher on a 15' 175.

gripping down a foot on a 15' 175 effectively makes it the equivalent of jumping on a 14' 195 ! Can't say I've ever seen someone do a 30lbs jump up in poles no matter how big of a tailwind or tap they get.

I know this may seem like an extreme or dangerous attitude, but personally I would rather risk my safety in a calculated way, just for the chance to go high

..or a chance to go to the hospital. You're right, it is a dangerous attitude. There are plenty of alternatives to placing yourself at a higher risk of injury or worse. The #1 goal of any jump you take should be to land in the middle of the mats safely. If you are doing anything that may compromise that, then you are not vaulting in a safe and correct manner.

, rather than wait around for the rest of the season blowing through small poles while I search for a transition pole.

like i said before...many alternatives....

I used to have that same kind of attitute when I first started vaulting. I had a lot of close calls and was lucky to not get seriously injured in the process. I'm just trying to get younger kids to not make the same mistakes I did.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:I used to have that same kind of attitute when I first started vaulting. I had a lot of close calls and was lucky to not get seriously injured in the process. I'm just trying to get younger kids to not make the same mistakes I did.

Me too... except I did pretty seriously injury my self. fractured my 4th lumbar vertebrae from going wide right and missing the pit!

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:13 pm

Well today I used the 14 175 and blew through it everytime with the standards at 31.5''. Next pole. Im gonna use that 15'er and I WILL get in on it. Ill tell you guys how it goes. I think Im going to wear a helmet seeing as how you all think Im going to kill myself tomorrow. Im just gonna give it all I got and see what happens.
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:22 am

Just in case I wasn't clear in posting the link to the kid in a coma. I don't think this is a good idea.

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:46 am

Robert schmitt wrote:Just in case I wasn't clear in posting the link to the kid in a coma. I don't think this is a good idea.

Listen to the man! :yes:

If you have to go so far as to put on a helmet and set up extra pits all the way around the runway....I don't think that it is either safe or a good idea.
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”