The Rules of Pole Vault Part 2

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Troff-USA
PV Beginner

Unread postby Troff-USA » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:42 am

Lonstar, I thought I saw something that either USATF or NCAA was going to setting the standards at 50-80 range. Can't remember where I saw it though.

vaultfan

standard placement rules

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:10 am

In an article entitled “Rule Change proposals for increased safetyâ€Â

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Standards

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:27 pm

I thought they had already changed the rule for High School to 18" for this year??? Also...I thought that the only thing illegal for communication with a coach was electronic equipment. From what I have understood and have seen used at meets, a coach that is too far away can use something like a small dry erase white board to help vaulters...they could use it for where to set standards, what size pole to go to or anything they would want to write on there big enough that the vaulter could see it from a distance....
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Re: Idiotic rules

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:54 pm

lonestar wrote:I have a few rules suggestions of my own - make the standard movement from 50-80cm instead of 0-80, so we can keep those things back and have people landing safely in the pit. Here's another one I put together awhile back to promote safer grip heights and controlled landings.

There are so many coaches out there who feel the exactly same way. Coach Hays here at UofA just got done writing a huge proposal and was on the phone forever setting up a meeting with the NCAA to change the placement rule. The only thing is, instead of having the standards from 50-80cm. He proposed that the standards should not move at all and just have one placement of 80cm! Personally I think this is an awsome idea. It would speed up the meets, increase vault safety, and teach people how to use therir poles. Personaly for the last two years, I have never vaulted with my standards at anything but 80cm. Thats just how I was taught. Believe me, people woill adapt to this rule and in the long run, its for the best.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:19 pm

[/quote]He proposed that the standards should not move at all and just have one placement of 80cm! Personally I think this is an awsome idea. It would speed up the meets, increase vault safety, and teach people how to use therir poles. Personaly for the last two years, I have never vaulted with my standards at anything but 80cm. Thats just how I was taught. Believe me, people woill adapt to this rule and in the long run, its for the best.[/quote]

I totally agree with you on that. I suggested 50-80cm to avoid the backlash from the marginal jumpers who set their standards in front of 80. As a coach, I keep the standards at or even PAST 80 during practices to force my vaulters to stay in their vault and finish their swing - it works great!

I actually heard Greg Hull speak at Reno 2 years ago and he said that Bubka used to try and sneak his standards past 80 when the officials weren't looking, and then pretend like he didnt' speak English when they asked him what he was doing!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:21 pm

yeah, vaulting at 80cm is always what i've been used to too....i guess it may be an AZ thing...most the coaches i know try to push the 80cm thing as much as possible....i've only changed my standards like twice, and thats cause there was a headwind, and the other time i just couldnt get into the pit as far as i need, but the closest i've moved them is 26 inch, not sure the cm conversion
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Troff-USA
PV Beginner

Unread postby Troff-USA » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:28 am

Keeping the standards "buried" at 80cm the whole meet would sure speed up a vault competition!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:40 pm

Troff-USA wrote:Keeping the standards "buried" at 80cm the whole meet would sure speed up a vault competition!
Yeah your one of "those" vaulters....... :dazed: hmmmmmm
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:43 pm

lol, adam, play nice now....j/k
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:24 am

Lol, yeah, I'm glad they make us do that, you progress so much faster too, and it helps you push the pole and all that good stuff....yea! lol :P
Pole Vaulters get high!

flyinazn
PV Beginner

Unread postby flyinazn » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:53 am

I know a guy that was the best long jumper in the state, broke the state record, got DQed for having a hemp anklet on...it was his senior year also

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:37 am

lonestar wrote:
He proposed that the standards should not move at all and just have one placement of 80cm! Personally I think this is an awsome idea. It would speed up the meets, increase vault safety, and teach people how to use therir poles. Personaly for the last two years, I have never vaulted with my standards at anything but 80cm. Thats just how I was taught. Believe me, people woill adapt to this rule and in the long run, its for the best.[/quote]

I totally agree with you on that. I suggested 50-80cm to avoid the backlash from the marginal jumpers who set their standards in front of 80. As a coach, I keep the standards at or even PAST 80 during practices to force my vaulters to stay in their vault and finish their swing - it works great!

I actually heard Greg Hull speak at Reno 2 years ago and he said that Bubka used to try and sneak his standards past 80 when the officials weren't looking, and then pretend like he didnt' speak English when they asked him what he was doing![/quote]

But when you get on stiffer poles you dont always have your standards buried. Truthfully if ur standards are buried you might be on too soft of a pole anyways. I only see keepin the standards all the way back is in practice because it helps you learn to drive longer so you can GET ON THOSE BIGGER POLES that make you jump with the standards in front of 80cm. O well thats only my 2 cents on it all.
hmmmm

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”