can't finish vault

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

is it better to go high and look bad, or go low and look good

go low look good
30%
go high and look bad
70%

Total votes: 20

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Personally, i believe that it is better to jump with good form and jump well rather than jump high with bad form. You will recieve more respect from other vaulters, because you have mastered the form. All jumpers want better form, but the better you get at it, the higher you will go anyway.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:04 pm

If you can already get on big poles and get high with bad technique then you have much more potential than the guy getting lower than you with good form. I see kids at every meet who have better technique than I do but I end up beating them because I have the ability to use a pole a foot longer and 40lbs heavier than theirs. Its sort of like when you see some kid win the high jump doing the chair technique. Whoever gets higher is better.

They don't ask how, they ask how high!
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:23 pm

I hate to argue but I've got to side with Czar. I've always been taught and always believed that form is the most important thing in the vault, and if you have good form, the height will come. I'm not a big guy at all, but I can out jump a lot of my competition because I have decent form. You can always work to get bigger and faster, but the technique is what pole vaulting is really about.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Cooleo111 wrote:I hate to argue but I've got to side with Czar. I've always been taught and always believed that form is the most important thing in the vault, and if you have good form, the height will come. I'm not a big guy at all, but I can out jump a lot of my competition because I have decent form. You can always work to get bigger and faster, but the technique is what pole vaulting is really about.

thanks... when I was a sophmore, I was only jumping 12, but I had excellent form for someone of the same age/year. Everyone told me that I was going to be jumping alot higher than other sophmores in the area jumping 12-6 or 13 because I know how to move my body, and because I can pole vault, not just jump high with a stick. As a senior my PR was 15-6, and I am expecting more as I get stronger and faster.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 pm

I think it depends alot based on how you personally vault. I am a fast, strong vaulter so I can grab a big pole and muscle my way over heights that people with better form have jump over thier handgrip to get. I believe with my lack of form I just have that much more to work on technically. A vaulter who is technically sound, but slow and weak needs more speed and strength. I think it's just a matter of is it easier to learn technique or get faster and stronger.
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:27 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:What needs to be said about your jump as been said, as for the pole, i voted its better to go high and look bad, than good low and look good, just because if i see someone clear 14 with bad form, i think "wow they can be a 15'6 jumper with some work". While if i see someone with perfect form clearing 13 i say "thats impressive, but he/she isnt going to go much higher."

Totally agree, and on top of that, people PV for height, and the nuts and bolt of it says that whether I look bad or good, I jumped "X" amount of height, which is higher than some, and lower than some--looking bad or good, a higher number gets more gold medals and more team points. Thats my opinion.

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

pit rat 1

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:41 am

I think you have too low a bend. You need a higher hand hold, better jump off, and better knee drive. It will come with time

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: pit rat 1

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:40 am

GeorgeN wrote:I think you have too low a bend. You need a higher hand hold, better jump off, and better knee drive. It will come with time

Raise your grip height to fix a low bend? Better take off and drive sounds right but raising the hand hold would intensify the low bend wouldn't it??

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”