VAULTING IN RAIN

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:26 pm

well this week it was supposed to rain every day, and
still is, and state sectionals are friday...it hasn't rained
yet for practice either Monday or Tuesday, and it will
probably hold out just till Friday because that's just the
way it seems to have been all season...maybe it will
even out...last time i got a new pr in the rain...
"Just Fly"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue May 24, 2005 10:54 pm

I know exactly what you are saying Becca. And I did throw that out for some discussion. I understand that a "rain date" in track and field for one event is logistically not practical. But with all the focus on safety now-a-days it's a pretty obvious safety issue if you can't hold on to he pole. How slippery is slippery? How many injuries in the pole vault are caused by falling off the pole? My point is somehow someway vaulters shouldn't have to vault in the rain, period. Just my point of view. Don't worry, I doubt if it's going to ever come to a "no jump in the rain" rule. It just seems with all the other safety rules in our sport that have been put into place since the dark ages when I was in high school, I am surprised that this one hasn't come up and been acted on. Later...............Mike

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Wed May 25, 2005 12:08 am

I like vaulting after it rains and landing in the pit and having all the water splash up around you.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:09 am

i love vaulting in the rain. My word of advice, besides the ones about being safe, because thats the most important thing, is be mentally tough. I've been to meets where people have near the same pr, but the one who stays mentally tough enough and maintains a positive attitude comes out the victor.
"the weak survive only if the strong are weaker" -N. Paul Todd

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Wed May 25, 2005 12:02 pm

Where not aloud to vault in the rain. But if you do be care full b/c everything gets slippery

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Wed May 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Yes...use your common sense people. If you have any apprehensions about your jumps, don't do it! For the kids that train in the rain and don't mind vaulting in it, go ahead.

Be safe...like someone already mentioned, if we have even a couple bad accidents from vaulters jumping in terrible conditions, it would probably be banned from high school level.

As for the wind, here in Wyoming all the vault coaches and meet directors are very open to the idea of moving the pits so we have a tailwind. If it is a cross wind, then we're kind of out of luck.

Can't really do anything but echo all the advice given already...keep your poles dry (i.e. inside a tent or under some hoodies), make sure it doesn't hit the runway, etc etc...

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Wed May 25, 2005 2:17 pm

not vaulting because it's raining is absurd. Maybe if you are a college coach and can move practice inside that is an easy option. But when it rains a lot (in western washington) vaulting in the rain is just something that happens. Call the list of methods for increasing your ability to improve your grip what you want, but there is no reason you can't jump close to your pr in the rain. You have to be mentally prepared for that opportunity and obviously you have to be safe, but jumping in the rain is something that happens. I am curious about how many people decide not to vault in the rain. For the coach that said don't do it, what do you do when it is raining at a meet that you travelled to? You spend the money to fly wherever you are going, which costs more to ship the poles, does the head coach say it is ok to not vault just because it is raining?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”