The tap

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am

My coach did that to us last week. I didnt like it at all it
kept screwing me up b/c it scared me

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

tap

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am

I completely agree with Altius. Instead of using a tap a Russian friend of mine who is extremely knowledgable in the vault built a ramp. 3/4" piece of plywood with a 3/4" x 1" piece of plywood on one end giving it a 3/4" incline from front to back (about 30"). He put a piece of Mondo on the plywood the same size as the plywood. When I have anyone transitioning and they need a little magic feather to fly. I use the ramp. It is remarkable the progress that the athletes are able to realize by using it.
:yes:

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:14 am

i don't think i trust my coach enough to let him do the tap...

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Like other people have said...if you can't get into the pit on a certain pole you need to change what you are doing and not seek assistance with a tap. That is just wrong. I hate when I see pepole try to start warm-ups or a meet holding too high and on too big of a pole. Warm-ups are there for a reason!
Chris Milton

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:46 pm

altius wrote:If you cant transition poles without a tap - you are not ready for the transition! ;)

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

I was at a meet last week and my competition, was "decent", (at least compared to what i normally come across)...anyway, her speed was superb, but her form was crap, and i've never ever seen anyone in my conference ever use the tap until that meet!! They were hosting it and I was the only opposition so i guess there wasn't anyone to admonish her or her coach, but the really sad thing is that she's already on a tiny pole so.....why need a tap??? :confused:

It definately is bad to overuse, and personally i tried it a lot my first year but it never really reassured my mentality....that's just me though :P

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:28 am

Yep - try the small platform ladyvolscoach suggested instead of using a tap if you need some help at take off in training. Petrov uses it all the time. Advantage is you get some benefit in training but you know you can never use it in warming up for a comp so you dont get to rely on it mentally.

Another problem not often mentioned is that the tap encourages folk to run under because it is hard for the tapper to get it right when you take off out. And - just imagine the effect if you are trying to use a prejump!!

Another possibility if you have a great set up is to use a slightly deeper box.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

zack

Unread postby zack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:26 am

izzystikchik wrote:
altius wrote:If you cant transition poles without a tap - you are not ready for the transition! ;)

I was at a meet last week and my competition, was "decent", (at least compared to what i normally come across)...anyway, her speed was superb, but her form was crap, and i've never ever seen anyone in my conference ever use the tap until that meet!! They were hosting it and I was the only opposition so i guess there wasn't anyone to admonish her or her coach, but the really sad thing is that she's already on a tiny pole so.....why need a tap??? :confused:

It definately is bad to overuse, and personally i tried it a lot my first year but it never really reassured my mentality....that's just me though :P

Wait are you saying her coach tapped DURING the meet? Not only is it unsafe but completely illegal.

agapit
PV Follower

Re: tap

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:20 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:I completely agree with Altius. Instead of using a tap a Russian friend of mine who is extremely knowledgable in the vault built a ramp. 3/4" piece of plywood with a 3/4" x 1" piece of plywood on one end giving it a 3/4" incline from front to back (about 30"). He put a piece of Mondo on the plywood the same size as the plywood. When I have anyone transitioning and they need a little magic feather to fly. I use the ramp. It is remarkable the progress that the athletes are able to realize by using it.
:yes:

hey that is my board :)
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:45 pm

i agree with allot of you for the most part... taps should be illegal in competition and even in warmups for them... they also can produce bad habbits when a coach is always pushing you into the pit, you just won't learn how to do it on your own. but as a coach safety is number one and sometimes you need to give a young or even experienced athlete that extra boost to make sure they are going to be on the mats and not on the ground or worse the box. you are right it is a safety issue, and with out it more athletes will be landing on their backs. coaches should use it for that purpose, not to "push" kids onto poles their not ready for.

cstary
PV Wannabe

Unread postby cstary » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:24 am

The tap, like most things in vaulting, is a learned technique. It has its merits as well as its problems, and I agree that more should be discussed on the matter. If done properly, it will safely help to transition a vaulter to a bigger pole. It is similar to a gymnastic "spot." The spot is a technical aid to guide a gymnast through a new routine. An untrained or uneducated spot can be disastrous, and usually only a well seasoned coach or trainer will feel comfortable giving one.

Bottom line, a well educated and savvy coach should be able to utilize a tap if they deem that the vaulter will benefit from it. Anyone unfamiliar with tapping should definitely be smart enough to avoid giving one. But to eliminate a coach's right to properly utilize this tool is extreme. I always put safety first, but I am a firm believer that over-regulation can eventually dismantle and destroy the event . . .

Creed

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

taps

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Pistolpete, taps are illegal in competition both warmups and competition.
Roman, Dude I'm taking good care of your ramp......it's getting used a lot!!!![/quote]

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:10 pm

zack
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:26 am Post subject:
izzystikchik wrote:
altius wrote:
If you cant transition poles without a tap - you are not ready for the transition!

I was at a meet last week and my competition, was "decent", (at least compared to what i normally come across)...anyway, her speed was superb, but her form was crap, and i've never ever seen anyone in my conference ever use the tap until that meet!! They were hosting it and I was the only opposition so i guess there wasn't anyone to admonish her or her coach, but the really sad thing is that she's already on a tiny pole so.....why need a tap???

It definately is bad to overuse, and personally i tried it a lot my first year but it never really reassured my mentality....that's just me though

Wait are you saying her coach tapped DURING the meet? Not only is it unsafe but completely illegal.

uh, yeah the coach and the athlete were doing the tap for like every warm up jump and for a couple of her full runs :dazed:

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”