Head Wind

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 am

well i have to say that 35mph gusts of tail wind arent that great either when you go to run with the pole and it almost gets pushed outa your hands!!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 am

at practice last year, we would stand the poles up and see how long the wind would hold them in the vertical position... ;) that's some strong wind!!

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:24 am

to deal with a head wind, try doing pole runs on the track facing the direction of the wind so that you are able to get a more acurate step when you are at practice.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:21 am

I think head winds are great (sometimes) at practice. I mean, if you can vault as high as you normally do, with no wind, or a tail wind. It means that you can probably/should vault a lot higher with out a head wind. Its training for the worst basically. But, we are lucky enough to have to pits in opposite directions at our school. No luck for cross winds!! lol. Anyway, i think i would almost rather jump with no wind at all. Not even a tail wind. anyone feel the same?
Just you wait...

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:42 am

I think I would rather jump with either a light tail wind, or a light head wind. I don't like no wind at all...cuz its to normal. I also hate side winds cuz it blows your pole all around. I jumped my PR in a slight head wind in about 50 degree weather last year. Though I have had some good jumps in tail winds this year. I would just prefer to have light winds...like 5 mph though...i hate real windy days, even if they are tail winds!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

bball_luvr23
PV Beginner

Unread postby bball_luvr23 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:42 pm

At my school the PV runway is north/south and the pits were at the north end all last year. I only remember two or three days we couldn't vault because of a head wind. This year they switched the mats to the south end and we've only vaulted 3 days in almost 3 weeks. I do think that the wind has a tendency to blow from the south at our school.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”