Grip Height?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 am

Glory wrote:leaning forward does not put downward pressure on the pole at all..if you look up through your bottom hand your chest is up and this lean gives you more of an advantage to push the pole up on takeoff...aparently some people do things differently..leaning forward works real well for me..i use to run as tall as possible for the last 7 years..within the last 2 months i switched it up and have pr'd by almost 2 feet...just go with what feels best

Did you actually watch the video of this kid? He needs to stand up taller, and telling a beginner to just go with that feels best is bad advice.

highhopes
PV Fan

Unread postby highhopes » Fri May 25, 2007 8:14 pm

A beginner doesn't know what it should feel like.
“Practice like you playâ€Â

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri May 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Couple of points to consider. 1st of all, if Master says it, it's so. He's a true student of the Petrov technique and with his engineering background he probably understands it better and able to apply it better than most on this forum. 2nd, Do you really need to run that far? The distance isn't bad if you're trying to get a work out, but if you're trying to improve your technique and thus, get higher up in the air, then doing the same jumps with shorter runs (2 or 3 lefts) will allow you to get more reps. It gives you more chances to work on , good running posture, high pole plant, and moving up the pole. You've got a nice start. Find DJ's chart. Mark your pole with the grip heights that are in the chart. EX. if the bar or bungee is at 6' 6", your top hand should be at 8' 10". Using only 3 lefts, a right and take off, you should be able to get over the bar. It's a booger for sure! In order to clear any of the heights on the chart under those perameters, you basically have to; run correctly with the right posture, plant tall, drive the knee, basically......do things right. Bubba calls this exercise the "face your demons" game. He's told me that he's had 13 and 14 footers that couldn't get over 8' doing the face your demons game. As said a number of times already, any movement up the pole is done in fingers at a time or fists at a time not feet or yards. Good luck and keep jumping! Later..........Mike

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 25, 2007 10:44 pm

souleman wrote:Couple of points to consider. 1st of all, if Master says it, it's so. He's a true student of the Petrov technique and with his engineering background he probably understands it better and able to apply it better than most on this forum....
Thanks for the confidence souleman. But that's taking it a little too far :eek:

- master

Liminator
PV Newbie

Unread postby Liminator » Sat May 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the feed back. Now my only question is the swing up. Does anyone think that my leg is gonna hit the cross-bar on the way up?

Lefty
PV Newbie

Unread postby Lefty » Sun May 27, 2007 12:26 am

If you move your grip up a bit (like the others will saying) it will slow the movement of the pole into the pit and give you more time to swing that leg up in front of the bar and avoid hitting it. Just keep the standards all the way back, and I think you should be fine.
Potential > ∞

Liminator
PV Newbie

Unread postby Liminator » Sun May 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Alright thanks for the feed back.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”