bottom arm

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:21 am

Wow lots of advice thanks Kirk, what was the highest u ever jumped? Yeah ill keep that in mind i usually try to get on the big stick its the only chance i have. I gripped 14-10 from 16 steps im only going from 12 right now so i beat my 16 pr from 12 :P . 18 in a couple would be nice ive made alot of progress this summer, hoping for 17 and a little change next year( 17-2 or 4?) Yep huge poles is what i have to do to jump high! Dude thanks for all the advice! I dont think ill move my grip up past 15 until i jump 17-6 if that happens anytime in the near future!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Kirk
PV Beginner

Unread postby Kirk » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:20 pm

17-6 1/4 in 1972.

KYLE ELLIS wrote:im only going from 12 right now so i beat my 16 pr from 12 ...
That happened to me at one point too. Less steps gives more control, especially if you're slow. Just as long as that last step is fast is all that matters! Once you work back to 16 steps (under control) you can't help but hit the sky. I think I had 21 steps (129') in my prime, but my handstand was never better than with 9 steps.

KYLE ELLIS wrote:hoping for 17 and a little change next year ...
Don't worry too much about the bar. Concentrate on plant, takeoff, etc, and the heights will come. Clearing the bar is just the reward system - the payoff for doing everything else right near the ground!

KYLE ELLIS wrote:I dont think ill move my grip up past 15 until i jump 17-6
You won't have to. But think of it the other way around. "To jump 17-6, I'll need an x grip on a y pole." My best grip was 15-4, but if I had continued vaulting, I'm sure that I would have moved up to at least 15-8. BTW, moving up a pole size is easier than upping your grip.

Kyle, you're on the right track. Good luck, and let me know of any good jumps you have!

Kirk Bryde

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”